How to get started 19*19 game

Try this video – professional Michael Redmond explains the 19x19 board in half an hour.

6 Likes

Play, try things, play, get (very) short reviews to see what you could do better. Play is most important.

2 Likes

At the level of beginner → 15k or so (even right through DDK, actually), I’d also recommend the old Nick Sibicky lectures.

This link has an “oldest videos first” preference: https://www.youtube.com/c/NickSibicky/videos?view=0&sort=da

Also, if you’d like reviews of your games then upload the SGFs to GoKibitz and one or more stronger players (roughly 5k–3d) will comment on them. You can also get reviews right here on the OGS forums.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply. noted, will try.

understood. I’ll start to play against real human beginner.

1 Like

thanks for your detailed explanation. Will try

thank YOU! Will watch it today!

2 Likes

Katago also has score estimate graph - its more useful

did you try 9x9 or 13x13?

1 Like

yes, I tried 9x9 before.
I can win 2-3 games out of 10 against the same AI, GNU.

I’m feeling 9x9 is more like a separate game rather than the junior form of 19x19.
At specific areas, 9x9 might be harder and deeper than 19x19 in my opinion. It forces players to have close combat and strive for extreme calculation.

in general, 19x19 game is both wide and deep. And the 9x9 might go even deeper at specific area.

from my point of view, playing 9x9 can help me practice the ability to resolve life-death puzzle but it’s not that efficient for me to learn the 19x19.

2 Likes

Very true.

9x9 is a knife fight in a cupboard

19x19 is a grand battle.

There are various suggestions of how to make the transition in this thread.

If English language videos are not a problem, Dwyrin’s Back to Basics have been a fantastic help for many people (noting that lots of other people detest his presentation style).

5 Likes

thanks a lot. I will read the thread and watch the videos you recommend.

Then I see your main problem - you need to play with humans
you solved enough tsumego to replace 9x9, but 19x19 is still very big.
13x13 may help to transit from tiny tsumego to 19x19

stop reading and watching, play humans

2 Likes

Yeah - necessary but not sufficient though.

As well as “play with humans” you need to find a way to quickly learn:

Beginners are often advised not to bother learning joseki, and broadly this is good advice, but those 4 that I listed above are trivial to learn and the situation happens so often that why not make it easier for yourself is what I think about those.

2 Likes

How about teaching games with humans?

Maybe first start playing 13x13 games?

My feeling is that with a human teacher and corners-sides-centre a person learns better on 19x19 than 13x13. Somehow 13x13 seems like the worst of both worlds, though that’s just my opinion.

This! Just ask, here in the forums, it will be astonishing if you don’t get one…

1 Like

In real life I’d say put a little bit away your nose from the board. Online, sit more far away from the screen?

Your lack of experience doesn’t matter when you share it with your opponent, exploring brings the fun, put your ideas/intuition to test!

Note: the board behave like a magnet, so try to keep your distance during the whole game.

1 Like

i suck on a 9x9 i just dont like it but i recomend stating out on that and move up to a 13x13 board then try the 19x19 i started out with the 19x19 board had no other board to play on and i had onl y the booklet to help me the stuff i learned i viewed on youtube and looked on line the library may have some books that may help youi do fairly good on the 19x19 board depending on who im playing with the people that play on here or way better then the ones i play in real life so if you plan on playing on here you will lose a lot of games brfore you start winning

This doesn’t really god away. Even at low dan you just kind barely know what to do “in most situations”:

And from what I’ve seen in professional games, the review often says “I wasn’t expecting that”. I hear that a lot in pair go when they go in the back and say “ok well they only played one of the moves we expected…”

2 Likes

i had to learn on the 19x19 board i had or have no other board to play on

I’m a 3-4k here and I can’t say the content of those videos is too easy for me.

1 Like