How to improve at 4d fox?

I’m pretty sure I fit your category :slight_smile: @bugcat

1 Like

Based on my own experience, I think around fox 4d (fox 3d and 5d on the weaker side, OGS 3k~1d), in order to improve, one needs to be more precise in calculating and judging, because a player at this level already acquired basic skills such as simple L&D, common josekis, shape etc.

Examples of not being precise:
“If I play here then the opponent probably should respond in order to live” without seeing a precise variation to kill if the opponent tenuki.
In a contact fight, “as long as I play in this area I’m good”.

To give a precise example, the following shape appeared in a game when I was an sdk.
图片
I knew B was bad but still played it mainly because I wanted to avoid calculate black A, white B, since that seemed too complicated. Instead, a stronger player could read out a proper answer to white cross-cut.

Another example from the game you in the OP.
图片
I guess the intention of this connection was forcing white to play in the corner? Correct me if I was wrong (but it does not affect my point). This L&D isn’t very hard, you should read it out before playing this move, ideally. If you can’t then practice.

1 Like

I understand what you mean. I call it “bruteforce reading”. I’m doing all that regularly, though I notice that when I’m not in a good mental state I just can’t bring myself to do that kind of reading. But all in all I know about it yes.

I played it so that p15 is no longer a double peep. If I don’t then white s15 is forcing and then I can’t “connect” against the p15 peep. What I didn’t do with this move is to read whether t15 was better against the corner, since it accomplishes the same thing for the shape outside.

1 Like