How to resume in-person Go club meetings safely in terms of Covid?

Shouldn’t be too hard for @dragon-devourer, if I remember correctly

1 Like

Some differences
1 ok
2 ok
3a put in water and mix a bit. No need wait 30mn
5 lie them on a towel and dry them yourself with. Same no need to wait
6 i do that twice so no need to separate

Before throwing away water don’t forget the bowls

A way to manage towel is to ask each players to bring one (or their own cleaned set if they prefer )

1 Like

Yes, you remember correctly :wink:

I let you translate but here is what we have for the monday at the Grenoble go club

2 Likes

all these pictures are so centered on disinfecting board and hands…
but,

unvaccinated person that wears normal mask and disinfecting everything still will be at much greater danger
than
unvaccinated person that wears good mask and not disinfecting anything

5 Likes

Grenoble au sommet,comme d’hab!

grenoble!

Clean boards and stones after each meeting

stone_defender is right. If I were to organize Go club meetings, I would make sure that everyone who joins is either vaccinated, recovered, or tested (on the same day) – and as these are the typical “3G rules” in Germany (3G because it’s “geimpft, genesen, getestet”), I would be in the comfortable position that I could just say “yeah, sorry, I didn’t make the rules” should someone complain. :sweat_smile:
And if the infections were on the rise again, I guess I would get even stricter (“2G”, only vaccinated and recovered people allowed).

5 Likes

I actually do agree, I was just passing by so I posted that but for sure 1st thing is to be vaccinated and I should have said it before :wink:

2 Likes

Ventilation is far more important than cleaning surfaces.

http://openyourdamnwindows.org/

This site was made winter last year before widespread vaccination, so I am not saying vaccination isn’t important, but that cleaning go stones is a massive waste of time and effort. Instead go and complain to the owner of the building who won’t let you open the windows because it’s cold. Or bring a screwdriver or hammer and do it yourself. Even better play outside.

6 Likes

Well it can be interesting to know if the nat recommendation were successfully implemented, or how some were difficult to follow ? (Not for judging grenoble club ofc but to answer the OP)

1 Like

Put the stones on a towel and use a hairdryer?

2 Likes

Not a bad idea if the towel getting too wet.

Now i am thinking, a way to solve all could be to move the go meeting into a swimming pool club or some fitness club the time covid is still a problem.

2 Likes

Throughout the pandemic, I have consistently heard the statement that the virus becomes less deadly as it mutates and the pandemic drags on. Recently, Norway equated covid with a seasonal flu and dropped most restrictions, which seems to affirm this.

So I just ignore everything now and go about my business as usual. I take no precautions whatsoever attending weiqi clubs or anything else. I don’t know (in real life) anyone who does anymore.

There is still a lot of herd mentality, fear and sensational news reporting, but that only seems to be noise now.

2 Likes

nope, while chance of death is still same, speed of spread increased
Those who are vaccinated have much less chance of death.
But, not all countries are successful at it.

4 Likes

Despite 6.4 billion administered vaccine doses, the virus is still killing.

5 Likes

It sounds like you’re confused about how and why viruses become less deadly. Yes, viruses tend to evolve to become more contagious and less deadly, since for a virus, the ideal survival strategy is to be able to spread to as many people as possible, while not killing its host (since in the end that means a very deadly virus will just kill many of its potential hosts, which it will require in order to survive through reinfection).

In case of humans, it makes sense for a virus to be so little nuisance for its host, that the host will continue to be in close proximity of other potential host, so that the virus can jump over. That’s why minor colds are extremely successful, and everyone on the planet has a runny nose every now and then, (the runny nose is a nuisance, but of course it majorly increases contagiousness, so in total it’s evolutionarily beneficial to the virus).

But this takes time. As long as Covid strands that are deadly are widespread, the virus doesn’t become “less deadly” overnight: it’s not like the viruses collectively decide to become less deadly. What has to happen, is that a less deadly variant is so much more contagious than the deadly ones, that it overtakes them as the major strand. This is certainly not a thing that has happened yet.

So bottom line, if you want to ignore the virus completely, that’s fine. But please don’t spread misinformation.

7 Likes

I think that is not an affirmation that the virus changed to become less severe. I think it’s an affirmation that vaccination works to reduce the severity of the pandemic, allowing a reduction of restrictions as the vaccination coverage increases.

4 Likes

The last few posts illustrate the main difficulty in resuming in person Go club sessions - different people feel differently about the pandemic. Some will be fine with no measures. Others will feel uncomfortable even with lots of measures. So how do you decide on the best course of action? Do you pander to the paranoid? Or cater to the carefree? Split the difference? Or if you just do what you think is best, how do you know what you’re doing is objectively a good idea and not just in line with your own personal opinions / biases? What even is a good idea? That which is legal? Or gets the most people attending? Or safe? What even is “safe” on a spectrum of risk? Who would’ve thought organising a few games of Go was such a big responsibility? :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Well, because of vaccination coverage, both groups can gradually return to normal. So the split will matter less and less.

The pandemic is already fading into the background here. Six months ago, it dominated all the news every day. Nowadays pandemic news is becoming rare here.

1 Like

It depends a lot on how decisions are taken in your club.
Between opposite sides it’s sometimes difficult to establish rules and let them be respected.
Good luck anyway!

1 Like