How to resume in-person Go club meetings safely in terms of Covid?

We are in the UK. Measures here are minimal in most places. Masks are usually recommended but not required. Same for hand sanitizer, distancing, etc.

Haha! :laughing: We are not that lucky! We have few enough members that we can poll them. Ultimately, I think this is the solution. Then we can tailor our measures to what our members actually want.

5 Likes

It is very distressing to see how easy it is for the leaders of a nation to trigger a Pavlovian response in the population. Dissenting opinions are labelled as malicious disinformation, so there may be no discussion.

1 Like

Well, youā€™re claiming that coronavirus is now not more deadly than the flu, since viruses get weaker over time. That is misinformation: (1) viruses donā€™t magically get weaker over time, like you claimed and (2) Thereā€™s currently more people dying daily of covid than back in April 2020; if anything, the virus got deadlier overall (more accurately, it got more contagious without losing much of its deadliness).

Feel free to explain to me how Iā€™m wrong about either (1) or (2), and then we can have a discussion.

Also, just to be clear ā€œthe virus is getting less deadlyā€ is not an opinion, itā€™s either a fact or itā€™s a false statement. Iā€™m not attacking you for your opinion, like I said:

thatā€™s me allowing you to keep your opinions.

8 Likes

Please also note, that your opinion of not really caring about the virus is an opinion I currently share:

So, in a way, the opinion part of your post is not even a dissenting one (or mine is as well)

1 Like

Well, at least you have thought it through. I havenā€™t made the effort to verify any of this since I am a computer programmer, not a virologist. I donā€™t take it very seriously.

The most important thing when we are being subjected to a massive propaganda campaign is to keep thinking for yourself and donā€™t be coerced into doing anything that you donā€™t want to.

3 Likes

I can say that I fully agree.

1 Like

but saying things like ā€œvirus became less deadlyā€ is dangerous, it may lead to people stop vaccinating.

5 Likes

There is a lot of data available. I suppose that if the virus became less deadly, the Case Fatality Rate would be decreasing over time. But overall it seems to stay roughly 1-2%

not very useful thing unlike Infection Fatality Rate
but IFR may be hard to estimate

CFR depends on who get tested. Between waves and during wave testing may be very different. And after mass vaccination, only unvaccinated may start to get tested, so CFR will increase.
(or if both, it will decrease)

2 Likes

We also held all (weekly) meetings online on OGS from the beginning of the pandemic. We started to meet in person again, occasionally, in July this year. So far, we have had three face-to-face meetings and are hoping to settle down to meeting online and f2f alternate weeks, eventually.

We have published Covid Precautions which must be complied with by those attending. You can download a copy at:

https://directory.hertfordshire.gov.uk/Services/12766

I should also mention that the premises where we meet, a bar, have had an overhead ventilation system installed, which is also part of our precautions.

Btw, the AGA [corrected from ā€˜AJAā€™] published guidelines on this subject in July and Iā€™m happy to say they agree broadly with ours, made independently:

https://www.usgo.org/news/2021/07/aga-releases-updated-covid-guidelines-for-local-play/

EDIT: I wrote this without seeing all the other replies!

3 Likes

True (although in my family we still get tested tests when we have a cold)
And indeed CFR/IFR is also affected by vaccination. Vaccinated people can still get infected, but are much less likely to get seriously ill and die (reducing CFR/IFR). Almost all covid patients in ICU in the Netherlands are not vaccinated.

So this graph is giving me hope that things will normalize in the near future:

2 Likes

You donā€™t say where ā€œhereā€ is. This site is worldwide.

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry, in the Netherlands.

1 Like

With the delta variant, the virus became more contagious and more deadly

The main thing mitigating this is the widespread vaccination deployment

4 Likes

Covid or no Covid, hygiene of the public spaces and ustensils is important in any public activity.
People bring their own dancing shoes, their own tennis towels etc because they feel more protected. Imagine wearing a pair of dancing shoes worn by ten other people today.
I feel the same about Go stones. If they are publicly used and not washed, Iā€™ll imagine they are dirty and stinky.

2 Likes

Towels and shoes are moist so bacteria and fungi can develop. I know that virus particles can survive several days on various surfaces, but I suppose that micro-organisms wonā€™t proliferate easily on go stones. If you are afraid of touching go stones, that you cannot touch coins, door handles and public chairs either, and you canā€™t shake hands with anyone. Well, the last time I shook hands with someone was in March 2020 but before that, nobody considered shaking hands as dangerous.

5 Likes

Maybe I have bad memories of workplace equipment, used in common with other people: greasy keystrokes, reeking phone receivers. I always think that objects used by strangers should be cleaned, virus or no virus.
I admit I may be overthinking it, but if I see a greasy chair, a table full of ash, a phone with slippery buttons etc, I automatically think that the establishment never washes anything and they are lazy with regulations.

We did wash our hands afterwards, though.

There are many countries and several subcultures who donā€™t shake hands. Maybe there is some hygienic thinking into that?

3 Likes

I agree that greasy objets should be cleaned, however stones in my go club donā€™t ā€œobviouslyā€ need to be cleaned, and in any case washing them every week would be too tedious. Better ask people to wash their hands before playing and provide a hand sanitizer to anyone who needs it.

4 Likes

This is self-evident, of course.

3 Likes

It depends of the environment (playing in dusty place or outside ) and the frequency of use. See the people who cleaned the stones at the end of the french summer camp. In a more conventional use i still think that cleaning the material is not a bad idea like let say once in a year.
Many clubs organize an annual tournament, so that could be the good time for that, after everyone left.

5 Likes