If Go Were Going To Evolve, How Would It, And Why?

I can see what I’ve called opening freedom Go: delayed komi, deferred bidding, and pie rule variants becoming a long-term sister game to standard Go, as heavy and universal use of AI study further and further restricts opening ideas.

The three concepts are as follows:

• delayed komi – some moves are played and a bot evaluation decides the komi that will make the resultant position even. This was stone_defender’s idea.

• deferred bidding – some moves are played and then the players bid on who will give the most komi for the privilege of taking Black. In some positions, of course, that could be a negative komi.

• pie rule – one player sets up a position by themself and the other chooses which colour to play.

2 Likes

i will check your link, thanks you.

1 Like

I don’t think go will really change. A lot of the cool aspects come fr it’s long history, and the game hasn’t changed aside from Komi and playing styles.

It’s kinda cool that we could, theoretically, travel back a few thousand years and play go and still understand each other and the moves and their meanings.

Komi might change to make the game more fair, but I don’t see anything else changing.

3 Likes

the game hasn’t changed aside from Komi and playing styles.

The following things have been largely abandoned:

• the 17x17 board
  • fixed stone placements in Chinese and Korean Go
  • group tax

These last two only really died out around the turn of the 20th century.

1 Like

heavy artillery placements. need i say more?

In the trend of simplifying, i only see that we.give up the no suicide rule.

For the tech side, we will have a general use of scoring games with a board recognition app (it’s already used a lot here)

1 Like