Is 'gg' becoming a meaninless phrase?

I point out that your way of seeing what is politeness is not universal. And even more a must be like that.

I just say that after having played many times in different places in China, players don’t wish a good game before starting. Between people who don’t know each other or few, it’s common to say nihao (hello) but not always if they know each other. And this is a bit outside of the game itself. One will just ask a “do you want to play?” and that’s it. I related my experience it’s not absolute or emphatic.

Aknowledgement: well really there this not needed like in the same situation in different part of our planet. I still have that shopping experience, if you greet or say goodbye to a shop seller here, they will be surprised or even embarrassed. Politeness vary even between America and let say Germany, you leave the office door open here, and carefully closed there. If you visit the house of some friends in another place, you will not knock the door but just wait until someone see you…

I find myself a bit sad that some players can be offended or even refuse to play if you don’t say hi gg at the beginning of a game. International politeness is not rigid like in your own country, it’s something we are still elaborating every day.

Is that a bit emphatic and absolute statement ? (Ok I am just returning the compliment)

2 Likes