Is 'gg' becoming a meaninless phrase?

I see some reaching in some of his videos (for the language I can have an opinion about), but I guess he can’t hurt.

I like this one though :stuck_out_tongue: (timestamp)

1 Like

We discussed that video a bit a month ago, in LLL:

Occasionally I’ve met players who were offended by ‘gg’ as a greeting. Often when it sparked discussions with opponents it seems they were already triggered in one way or another tho.

Since I’ve learned about the message tab I use “Hi, have a good game”. That avoids ambiguities and lengthy explanations. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Occasionally I’ve met players who were offended by ‘gg’ as a greeting.

This is because, since gg is usually said at the end of the game, saying it at the beginning can be interpreted as implying that you’re certain to win and thus as an insult to the opponent’s skill.

It can be seen as sayng “The game is already over, you are so much weaker than me…”

3 Likes

Should have been a multiselect poll :slight_smile: when I say gg at the beginning of a game, it means something different than at the end obvi. Both times it’s genuine, but a little lazy if I’m being honest. If the game was particularly meaningful to me, I will make a statement about the game, like “wow that was close. X17 really had me on the run”

3 Likes

Yeah, I understand that. People who get offended by “GG” as a greeting are used to it through other games (SCR2, LoL etc.), where it has a different meaning.

2 Likes

I’ve started using elvish phrases with a translation to start and end games, but they are also copy and pasted.

Êl síla erin lû e-govaned vîn.
A star shines on the hour of our meeting.

Le fael.
Thank you.

This sometimes starts a conversation about Tolkien and other stuff besides Go, so it can help set up a friendly atmosphere.

I don’t think the effort required to say something determines the sentiment behind it. Polite gestures, even when rote, signal at least that you accept your opponent as a member of the same community. I guess in that way the absence of the gesture is an insult, instead of its presence being a compliment.

11 Likes

Well said.

3 Likes

I paused at this. I think I like it. It feels nostalgic to me.

2 Likes

Im glad we can finally get the decicive opinion on this matter!

Nowdays, i mostly say “gg” when spectating someone else’s games, its not something i would say toward my own opponent >___>

1 Like

I imagine that in the future people will only communicate with emoticons and numbers and that the internet creole of today, with phrases like “gg” and “rekt”, is the intermediate phase. The already extremely bloated Unicode standard can easily be expanded to support pronouns and plural particles et c.

The Internet People also have their own etiquette that has evolved naturally in the chaotic internet environment. “gg” is used when you made an effort and deserve some kind of respect, even if you were extremely bad (exactly like saving face). A proto-formality in this new system of etiquette, considered a cesspit by the Old People.

3 Likes

:point_up::+1:

3 Likes

“Could you even imagine go ever having the same reputation for flaming that MOBAs do?”

Actually “gg” is pretty common at the end of a MOBA match, and often players will not spend more energy typing anything else.

2 Likes

This poll seemed to ask what it would mean if I said it.

It doesn’t ask how I read it though.

I read it differently depending when it is said (obviously).

At the beginning of the game, I read it like “How’s it going?”.

When someone says that do you, they aren’t really asking that question, and you say fine even it is far from fine.

Same with ‘gg’ at the beginning of the game. I don’t say it, but it isn’t meaningless … if the person actually typed it, they are probablly at least saying ‘hi’ and acknowledging that there is a person on the other side.

IMO

5 Likes

To me “gg” is just a polite way of saying “the game is over and i haven’t left the chat yet if you want to talk about it”.

Like “hello” and “good morning” the words themselves don’t really mean anything, but the action of saying it does have a meaning.

7 Likes

Phatic expression - Wikipedia /

|2.1|Danish|
|2.2|Danish Sign Language|
|2.3|English|
|2.4|Icelandic|
|2.5|Japanese|
|2.6|Persian|
|2.7|Welsh|
[2.8In fiction]

Does this look like a random choice to anyone else?

1 Like

Probably means that people in - say - in Germany or Greece, the languages of which are missing in that list - are too socially inept to use this concept.

3 Likes

@richyfourtytwo grunt noises, early version of agreeing yelps

5 Likes

Right - that’s what it used to mean, but the reason why people feel it’s becoming meaningless is that people started saying it at the beginning of the game.

1 Like

That’s not meaningless. It just means something else. Presumably ‘Wishing you a good game’.

4 Likes