Is the rating system skewed?

This is normal. While I see this is your first time on the forums (welcome!!) I’d recommend doing some research on how the ratings are calculated and what they mean before insisting so vehemently that you’ve discovered a bug. The overall rating is calculated from all games you’ve played - it is not an amalgamated rating from the individual time/size ratings. Those are displayed purely for curiosity’s sake, and you cannot compare any sub-ratings with your overall rating. In the end, they have very little meaning beyond comparing your skill in a given sub-rating to someone else’s, assuming you’ve both played at least a few games in that rating class.

As for a rating going down after a win, this is possible, and a known side effect of this particular implementation of the glicko2 rating algorithm (where the rating period is a sliding 15-game window.) Due to this it can create the seemingly baffling effect where you can lose rating points after a win, depending on how that affects your pre-window rating that the final rating calculations are based off of. I’d recommend reading through Professor Glickman’s paper to see how ϕ’ for a new rating is based on ϕ* - the previous rating before the window, and note that unlike the specific example in the paper this is a sliding per-player window on OGS to account for the way games are played sporadically as opposed to, say, an organized professional league. Unfortunately, accuracy and intuitiveness are not intrinsically linked in mathematics, despite what some may expect.

Now, anoek has noted previously that this, while seemingly a more accurate way to determine ratings based on testing, is a suboptimal user experience. As such, he’s expressed that this particular aspect of the rating system is something he’s looking at slightly tweaking. See thread here:

Also, if you’d like to look at the implementation, have at it! In the previously linked thread, anoek is clear that he’s widely open for suggestions that can demonstrably improve accuracy, but please, before you get too far in the weeds, do familiarize yourself with the details of the current implementation, lest you fall down the wrong rabbit hole. This repository solely houses the calculation code and analysis for single-day windows and one-game-at-a-time windows, as opposed to the sliding 15-game window used in production for newly played games. I’m also not sure if there have been changes on OGS that haven’t made it into that repo, so, grain of salt and whatnot.

8 Likes