Is using game analysis during a game cheating?

right :). maybe i just spawned a whole new generation of “cheaters” xD

Kickaha: “personally i dont think using it is cheating, but it can be detrimental to your overall progression, because it is very easy to make a habit of clicking wildly before trying to read a position in your head”

Makes sense. Cheating oneself only, lol. Especially, as noted earlier in the thread, if one wants to condition themselves to play live tournaments, too.

I wonder, why is analyze mode turned off for some online tournaments?

1 Like

[quote=“Cool1, post:22, topic:7741”]
Kickaha: “personally i dont think using it is cheating, but it can be detrimental to your overall progression, because it is very easy to make a habit of clicking wildly before trying to read a position in your head”

Makes sense. Cheating oneself only, lol.
[/quote]Well, I think it may depend on HOW one uses the analysis feature.

I for one definitely don’t “click wildly”, but usually have a few candidate moves in my mind which I then explore.

Sometimes I then get ideas for new candidate moves. For myself (~10k) I can definitely attest that my live gameplay has taken profit from the way I use variations.

OTOH, since I only play a few live games every week (IRL), and sometimes none, the rest are correspondence games here, my progress is slow (but steady).

Well, I guess the tournament directors just wanted to annoy me :joy: I also play in at least one correspondence tournament where the analysis function is disabled, gives me some distress :smiley: but I still enjoy the games.

i would like to have an option for for blocking Analyse mode for myself, regardless if my opponent uses it.
I don’t want to use it, but it is so easy to fall prey to this bad habit, and i find myself klicking without reading again… :slight_smile:

Hm? The option exists. You can disable analysis when creating a challenge… Or am I mission something? :slight_smile:

EDIT: Oh you mean only for yourself, yeah I get it now :smiley:

If you’re willing to risk misclicks you could switch to “one-click to move” in your settings and refrain from using the arrow keys … though not sure whether it’s worth it.

But you could create a UserVoice entry for this feature wish and create a separate post for this in the forum …

Zucker und Zimt! :wink:

Honestly I feel that game analysis in live games should be disabled by default unless you enable it and enabling would be possible only in unranked games… Kinnda defeats the sense of live go.

7 Likes

“Kinda defeats the sense of live go.”

Couldn’t have put it better myself.

2 Likes