Jigo implementation? ✅

I agree, not all draws are created equal with each with its memorable moments to learn from rather than looking to see a 1 or 0 result validating the quality of the game, such as thinking it was passive or not aggressive enough.

2 Likes

This begs the question: Is it still an insult if its you’re own choice to be called a pendant?

But seriously, Jigo is a legitimate result with integer komi, it happens in tournaments and needs to be implemented as a core feature.

7 Likes

Why would someone choose to be called a pendant?? >.<

1 Like

Even if we choose to label ourselves with negative connotations, it still remains self-deprecating.

It’s really quite an unusual and mild insult, if at all, kind of like calling oneself ridiculous or silly.

A little bit of self-deprecation is not a bad thing. It maintains perspective and helps to keep us from feeling too important or becoming pretentious.

Another motivating angle is simply playing the role of the fool/clown. We hope that people find humor in the ridiculousness of the things we say. Perhaps a little extra laughter is especially needed in these difficult times.

5 Likes

But even then you’d be a pedant, not a pendant…

6 Likes

@Maharani gotcha! But you only swallowed 1/4 of the bait. :wink:

Still, you now qualify for one free high-five from a pedant (or pendant) of your choice. :raised_hand:

5 Likes

Ducking autocorrect…

2 Likes

Could it be that our house-pedant missed a typo??? Unbelievable!

2 Likes

Ugh, wouldn’t it be ostentatious and insufferable to point out every single typo?

4 Likes

*unsufferable

It seems that both spellings are used, however “insufferable” appears to be more common.

2 Likes

I can’t think of a single time I’ve seen unsufferable. On the other hand, I see insufferable all the time.

The face that the root starts with s doesn’t seem to be relevant, as we have unsound but also insecure. There’s inseparable but apparently also unseparable (I’d read the latter as a more physical adjective).

And let’s not forget unsupported, unstable, and unsettled.

Sometimes in- prefixing indicates that the word has been inherited from Latin in its complete form, for instance insecure from Medieval Latin insécúrus, or inseparable from inséparábilis; but Wiktionary suggests that this isn’t the case for insufferable.

2 Likes

Oh wow I didn’t think unsufferable was used at all. I just thought it would be funny to “correct” your post about how insufferable it is to correct posts

5 Likes

Getting back on topic…

Those debating fairness of various komi might also be interested in this thread, showing KataGo judgments of different komi by board size for both Japanese and Chinese rules:
https://lifein19x19.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17750

And yes, 7.0 is fairest in Chinese rules, as far as we can tell at these levels of play.

However, 6.5 is fairest in Japanese rules, as far as we can tell at these levels of play. If it strikes you as strange that a jigoless-komi could be “fairest”, then keep in mind that we are not at perfect play, and so this is easily possible. Indeed, supposing perfect komi in Japanese rules was in fact one of 6.0 or 7.0, if it is sufficiently a close tossup which one it is according to all current evidence, then of course it is more fair to split it evenly and say that black wins one of them and white wins one of them, than it is to say that one of the colors wins one of them and draws the other.

Obviously, this judgment might change at some point as the level of play in bots continues improving ever-higher into the superhuman realm. :slight_smile:. But even if it does, 6.5 quite possibly could forever remain the fairest for strong human pros, because humans wouldn’t be one reaching these heights of playing strength where finally it becomes less of a tossup which of 6.0 or 7.0 it is.

7 Likes

From that L19 topic it seems that for Japanese rules, the fairest integer komi on 19x19 is 6 rather than 7 according to KataGo:

komi => black winrate
6.0 => 52%
6.5 => 49%
7.0 => 45%

If we interpolate, the fairest komi would be something like 6.3 for 50% winrate, which is closer to 6 than to 7.

Also see the charts here: AI opinions on "fairest" komi by board size • Life In 19x19

If we include other odd board sizes, fair komi under Japanese rules is between 5.9 and 6.3.
Under Chinese rules with odd board sizes, fair komi is between 6.7 and 6.9. Nearest integer is 7.

Right! And let’s try to encourage terminology that minimizes the possibility of confusion among people discussing these things. So if you had to guess:

You would guess 6 is the “perfect” Japanese rules komi (i.e. the most likely komi to lead to a draw under perfect play, assuming something else isn’t forced instead like triple-ko).

You would say that for now though 6.5 is the “fairest” Japanese rules komi outright though at this level of play (i.e. the komi producing the most balanced practical winning chances, counting draws as half of a win for each side).

And indeed 6.0 is also the fairest integer komi, even though it is not the fairest komi.

Even fairer would be roll a die at the start of the game and use 6.5 two-thirds of the time, and use 6.0 one-third of the time. (In fact, KataGo does something essentially like this when choosing the komi for the game in self-play or internal matches - it interpolates and randomizes appropriately to maximally balance the equity of each side, given all the other rules settings like area/territory/group-tax/button, etc.).

And under Chinese, the both the “fairest” single komi and the best guess for a “perfect” komi are 7, but white is very slightly easier to play at that komi value, so if you wanted, it would also be slightly fairer to include a small percentage chance of playing with 6.5 komi as well (at least, at KataGo’s level of play).

3 Likes

Does anyone know where does this tradition come from?

1 Like

I think it comes from over the board tournament handicap games before the internet, granting white a win in case of a jigo (possibly out of respect for the stronger player).

1 Like

Yes, so under Japanese rules 6.5 or 6 komi are both close to fair komi and you won’t go wrong much by picking either of the two. I suppose there is also an error margin in KataGo’s evaluation of a couple of decipoints, so there also that.

But under chinese rules, 6.5 and 7 komi are close to fair komi. 7.5 komi is plainly advantageous for white. To me that is a bigger issue than allowing jigo or not.

It would be fairest to use either half-integer komi of 6.5 under both Japanese and Chinese rules, or use integer komi of 6 under Japanese rules and 7 komi under Chinese rules. But never 7.5 komi under Chinese rules.

1 Like

This is not correct.
More than thirty years ago - before there was internet - the 0.5 komi was already used in handicap games.
The 0.5 komi was probably introduced to avoid jigo’s. Not that there were many jigo’s before the introduction of the 0.5 komi: approximately 2 in 100 games ended in a draw.

1 Like