Josekle Development

I agree. I don’t want to make it seem too competitive or stressful by adding a clock.

Then again, if some people want pain… Maybe it should feature the voice of a talking Ing clock?

3 Likes

My suggestion was mainly to pick a single theme and make it colorblind friendly, I also think there’s probably something better than purple and green (which looks good on ordel.se but the goban is a very different background color).

But I’m happy that purple/green was implemented in the meantime until we come up with something better, it was a big improvement over yellow/green :smile:

I don’t have a specific suggestion for something that would look better, I’ll leave that to someone with full color vision (I could then weigh in on whether any new suggestion is colorblind friendly enough, although ideally we would also check against some tool that can simulate the different kinds of colorblindness).

I still believe that having just one option is best, since sharing results is such an important part of this game, having multiple themes is just unnecessary confusion.

Can we find the colors we’re looking for among the ones that are available as emojis?

:white_circle: :black_circle: :red_circle:
:large_blue_circle: :brown_circle: :purple_circle:
:green_circle: :yellow_circle: :orange_circle:

How consistent are the colors of these across different platform?

There really isn’t a lot to choose from here once we eliminate black, white, and yellow. I thought for a moment that red/blue is a nice good looking and distinguishable combo, but of course red is already taken for the crosses. So maybe purple/green ends up being best anyways. But how about blue/green as another option? Would it look any better on the goban and icon?

3 Likes

What about something simpler like these?
v4
version1
version3

(the last one’s svg was wonky, so png lol)

Edit: idk, maybe the simpler design doesn’t quite convey the idea

4 Likes

I really like the first one. Actually, with an earlier design, I was playing with a J that kind of looked like that, except that it was the full width of the stone, which made it look too wide. I was planning on revisiting it with a narrower J, and might have even made something very similar to what you made. Maybe the O could be made purple? Like this?

v5

It has a subtle Mardi Gras feel to it...

4 Likes

I do like the inclusion of a red X to have the whole feeling of the hints. But really all of these look pretty good, and much better than the default (I guess it renders the page and shrinks it?) that is in Gooplet’s screenshot

2 Likes

Generally “good” app design only has like, 1 color besides white and black. Granted I am really only a proponent of this practice because I sort my apps by color and a 4-color app doesn’t fit on any page :see_no_evil:

But it’s such a niche game that it probably doesn’t matter anyway:
withx

edited becausse the icon was bloody huge

4 Likes

Here’s another version with a red X incorporated

icon

3 Likes

Let’s compromise
compromise

3 Likes

64fyde

4 Likes

Rainbow is 1 color thanks :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Regarding the icon, I think I actually like the red X on the white stone, as @Gooplet proposed above. However, maybe the purple O should be touching (or at least a little bit closer to) the white stone.

On another note, here is a neat site that provides colorblindness filters to check for accessibility:
https://www.toptal.com/designers/colorfilter/

4 Likes

Okay just throwing this out there
gradient3

edit: Applied a circular gradient to the board to give an illusion of texture and added gridlines and a star point. Not sure how i feel about it just yet with the “J” on top of the grid

This doesn’t seem to work with SVG so I’m adding a PNG as well:

3 Likes

Okay that’s super interesting! Really shows why the “x” shape is so important. Also reminds me of Christmas 2020 when all the Go streamers changed their stone colors to red and green, and suddenly a handful of viewers were watching 1-color go :sweat_smile: Maybe the slightly lighter board color you had would be better too

5 Likes

I don’t know exactly how OJE backend works but there was a database migration a couple of months back and I believe that you are pulling from the old database that was kept as a backup instead of the live one.

The new database has a 4-4 stone as Play Go at online-go.com! | OGS and the old one is Play Go at online-go.com! | OGS

1 Like

I really like the latest design proposed by @Gooplet here:

If there are no objections, I would like to add it to the project and set it as the icon for the page. @Gooplet, do you have a Github account and would want add it yourself? Or do you want me to take care of it?

By the way, regarding licensing and contributor agreements, I think that we should decide on some sort of license for the code that we’ve created so far. The BesoGo codebase is flexibly under the MIT license, so I think we have a lot of leeway in choosing how to license Josekle.

I would suggest that we put Josekle under the MIT license as well, but I’m also fine with other things and whatever @okonomichiyaki wishes to do.

@Jon_Ko has also contributed code and @Gooplet designed the icon above. Do either of you have any licensing preferences?

ToDo: I also need to add some Creative Commons credits into the ReadMe for the realistic stone and goban textures. Done!

EDIT: The icon has been uploaded. Pull request sent to @okonomichiyaki.

7 Likes

In general I’d prefer (A)GPL, but I’d be totally fine with MIT too.

2 Likes

I had meant to do this earlier. If there’s no objections, will add later today

it looks great! thanks both of you for working in this, graphics definitely not my forte

2 Likes

I would have no idea how to do this so I hope you don’t mind taking care of it :see_no_evil: I have a GitHub account but i only use it for occasionally updating plain text on a website that somebody else manages.

No preference on my part!

2 Likes

So I’ve posted about Josekle in a few places, and it’s always required additional explanation.

One user suggested adding an explanation below the board, but what about adding a “?” button somewhere like Wordle and its variants have that gives an explanatory pop-up?

4 Likes

The Discord spoilers are awesome, but they spoil each line of emojis individually. Could the “||” markers just go before the first line of emojis and after the last line of emojis, so as to require only one click to unspoil the entire thing?

Just a tiny quality of life change :sweat_smile:

4 Likes