Josekle Development

At first glance the default looks great! But steps seem too small.

2 Likes

You know how Wordle has a long list of words it will accept as guesses, but pulls from a much shorter list of words it will use as the solution?

Maybe it would make sense to allow any joseki in whatever database as guesses, but only use AI-optimal joseki as the possible solution?

4 Likes

This is a cool idea but I donā€™t think thereā€™s enough data in OJE to make it easy to filter for AI-optimal-ness. For instance this one doesnā€™t mention AI at all. So we would need some more dataā€¦

3 Likes

Awesome stuff, @Jon_Ko!

How do people feel about removing the jump forward / backwards 10 moves buttons?
I mean these ones:
image image

Another cool feature would be move forward / backward (one move) by swiping right / left on the board.

6 Likes

Whatā€™s involved in getting more data? Hand-checking each variation against AI with a set number of playouts? I guess even then AI can disagree lol. Also a lot of these would require larger board-states that make sense, right?

Maybe ā€œAI-optimalā€ isnā€™t the answer, perhaps just modern joseki then? Of course that research might be even harder to do.

The list is relatively arbitrary though, so it surely couldnā€™t be unreasonable to just put joseki onto the list that easily fit certain criteria (no loss greater than x points at 5000 playouts, with each other corner having the star points occupied, for example)?

Iā€™m kind of out of my depth here but if this is the kind of research best done without automation I could probably help (slowly) to compile a list :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

I honestly donā€™t know much about joseki, despite diving into a project that is entirely revolving around joseki.

I think @okonomichiyaki just means that itā€™s not immediately accessible which joseki in the OJE are considered ā€œAI-optimalā€. I guess one could use an AI tool to check, but knowing how to properly do that is beyond my knowledge.

Either way, I think the tricky part about building the solution sets is the seeming need for some level of human-guided curation. An initial thought was to have the solution set be ā€œmore commonā€ joseki, but there was also interest expressed earlier for a ā€œharderā€ set of solutions. I think that having a ā€œmodernā€ or ā€œAI-inspiredā€ set would also be interesting. Maybe all of these could be choices somehow, but I donā€™t know how to properly curate these sets.

3 Likes

Yes right now the pool of puzzles is very arbitrary, just what I and Jon_Ko hand assembled. Iā€™m in the process of getting much more data from OJE for checking guesses against, and this will enable more interesting collection(s) of puzzles. For instance a ā€œhard modeā€ of longer joseki only, etc.

Right now I have data up to depth 12 or so (over 450 joseki and variations), Iā€™m trying to get to at least 13 to include some well known longer joseki like the 3-3 invasion I just linked. So soon will rethink the pool of daily puzzles

Automated testing of the joseki against local Kata or something is pretty out of my depth tooā€¦

3 Likes

Remember when one of the selling points of this game was that it was simple? :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

If i understand well, itā€™s one problem pro day (like for wordle)
Any way to play with higher frequency?

2 Likes

Yes, if you want to peek ahead you use this link. Just add &puzzle=7 in the address bar, &puzzle=8, etc. There are currently around 40 and some hard ones in there, beware :joy: (did not filter avalanche out yet)

3 Likes

Maybe include a kind of archive with older problems for players who discover the game lately, missed one of them or for players who wants to replay?

2 Likes

You can also go backwards, using the same method, here is the first puzzle

It would not be too hard to make a page with links to these, if thatā€™s what you mean. Actually Iā€™m keeping track of them so we can avoid repeats right away when changing the collection.

2 Likes

I canā€™t believe it took me so long to finally do thisā€¦

dark

Pull request sent

7 Likes

Iā€™ve pushed something I meant to do at the start:

Keeping track of whether todayā€™s puzzle has been solved in local storage. If it has, it will pull the history of submissions out and restore them. I also am piggybacking off this feature to keep track of the brand new dark mode and zoom levels and restore those options on page load.

Check it out with ?debug=true, Iā€™ll turn this on by default soon.

Also with this flag on, the app will check the latest data I have from OJE, which covers some decent ground: 524 joseki up to depth 14 or so. It wonā€™t prevent submitting paths that missing, but will drop a message in the hints about it

4 Likes

OJE flags moves as ideal, good, trick plays and mistakes, those flags could be used for filters.

Oh and OJE allows to tenuki, thatā€™s something that needs to be considered too. Does Josekle allow passes?

3 Likes

We could add a pass button, if needed, but are there actually joseki that involve passing in OJE, or is that just for exploring continuations.

Or we could adopt the convention that the solution will never include a pass.

Passes are required for double approaches and such. It would be nice to have those sequences too. It would make it harder to guess, but it is part of joseki knowledge to know when tenuki is a valid possibility.

3 Likes

Regarding different difficulties, one fun part of Wordle is that everybody does the same word on the same day. So it would be cool, if that could be somehow preserved.

For example consider the avalanche josekis.
3-4, high approach, attach underneath, bump, extend back and hane is the same for all difficulties. But then the easy solution is to connect at 3-3 or to extend down. Small avalanche would be more advanced and large avalanche the most.

3 Likes

That sounds like a really cool idea. However, that would require quite careful curation to synchronize different difficulty levels like that.

2 Likes

Nice idea. It would give a bit of hint too on which branch to try according to the difficulty level.

Drawback is that the database will consist of sets of 3 josekis probably selected manually, it would be hard to have any automatic selection.

2 Likes