Ladder #1 on vacation

I do challenge the high dans, in fact I always challenge the highest player I can. I’m just holding off for now because I already have several active games in the ladder and I have over 10 correspondence games. I try to keep my number of correspondence games to 10 or fewer because otherwise I start to feel stressed and it is less enjoyable.

1 Like

It’s like in real life: If the choosen opponent is not available (vacation, illnesses,…) you have normaly to wait until the person is back.

4 Likes

Hello,

I’d like to make an important distinction between:

“If someone is on vacation they shouldn’t keep their position in the ladder”

and

“If someone is on vacation they should time out of their games”.

The suggestions in this thread appear to confuse both options. Making someone lose a few positions in the ladder if they’re inactive is one thing. Putting an end to the go games they’re currently playing is another thing entirely.

5 Likes

That is true, but also people often hand some things over to colleagues when they go on vacation so that other people can continue making progress in their absence. The idea of the #1 swapping places with the next highest player when they go on vacation is similar to that.

Are you in favour of a clear limit to the use of vacation days for people in the #1 position of site-wide ladders?

• Yes.
  • No.
  • I don’t care.
  • No opinion.

0 voters

1 Like

So I get my #1 back when my vacation ends?

3 Likes

I voted yes, but perhaps not with the meaning you intended. A limit already exists and is clear: 30 days a year for normal accounts, 60 for subscribers.

2 Likes

If you win it back you do :wink:

Seems like a big majority in favour of leaving things as they are, assuming that all the people who voted actually play in the site ladders.

1 Like

I was kind of under the impression that the concern was mostly for 19x19, right? I voted with the majority, but I only play 9x9. Do you think my vote should count? Perhaps others who voted might be in a similar position to me

1 Like

The OP says site wide ladders (plural), so I assume that this goes for 9x9, 13x13 and 19x19.

1 Like

Why is this relevant?
Even if you have never participated in one of these site ladders, there is always the possibility that you will one day.

1 Like

Most votes and surveys are limited to a specific population for which they are relevant at the time they are carried out. I don’t think this is worth discussing here. I concede that we should just keep things as they are.

I can see some good things about it. Having a ladder #1 on vacation presents their opponents with an opportunity to practice equanimity and patience. Also, if I ever reach #1 in a ladder again I won’t feel bad about using my vacation days.

5 Likes

Sure when you’ve worked hard to get to number 1 why not take a deserved break :slight_smile:

5 Likes

And practice equanimity and patience is a very good skill nowadays. :slight_smile:

1 Like

well techically… there is a clear limit for it, for most users its 30 days, for site supporters its 60. For people who use vacation mode, thus not having having their full 30/60 accumulated, their limit is lower. Again using myself as example, i currently have only 2 days of vacation time at my disposal xD

2 Likes