Language Learners' Library

Wikipedia is pretty trustworthy nowadays. They have many experts writing and editing on there. However, you have to take care with controversial topics, which usually converge to a “safe middle ground”.

Many claims are sourced, though, so you could check yourself where the information comes from and if it’s trustworthy (often it is).

Google translate is inaccurate for an entirely different reason: that Japanese and English are very different languages. Literal translation from one language to the other results in unnatural sentences, especially since Japanese is highly context dependent (something the translating machine struggles with). As an example:

私は学生です。
趣味は囲碁です。
watashi wa gakusei desu.
shumi wa igo desu.

Here the first sentence translates:

I (topic marker) student am. → I am a student.
Hobby (topic marker) go is. → My hobby is (playing) go.

The second sentence does not mention “I” or “my”, because it’s clear from the first sentence that “I” is the subject of the sentences. Whenever something is clear from context, Japanese simply leaves it out. However, what happens if you change the first sentence to this:

彼は学生です。
趣味は囲碁です。
kare wa gakusei desu.
shumi wa igo desu.

Now it becomes:

He (topic marker) student is. → he is a student.
Hobby (topic marker) go is. → His hobby is (playing) go.

So the subject of the second sentence has changed, because it’s clear from the context of the first sentence that the subject is “he” and not “I”. Try putting the latter two sentences in Google translate, and watch it struggle

1 Like