Language Learners' Library

Time for a bit of vague linguistic tomfoolery.

Radical Spotlight: 山 (mountain)

Like many simply-drawn kanji, is a pictogram. I think it’s fairly obvious.

(to exit / leave). This is an interesting kanji etymologically. Originally it was an ideogram of a foot and a cave, suggesting leaving a cavern. Later it was reinterpreted as a plant growing out of the ground. Finally, it assumed this double-mountain form.

. This means cent and is a Joyo kanji, but apparently the word is usually spelt in kana. Its original and now perhaps secondary meaning was hermit or wizard; it seems to have become cent by rebus (phonetic loan). There is some debate of whether this kanji was made as an ideogram (man + mountain, ie. mountain man) or as a phonosemantic compound.

辿 (to follow). The etymology looks like an ideogram (mountain path), but that could be an illusion.

This radical is used for a few hyogaiji actually to do with mountains, eg. (dense mountain vegetation) and (steep mountain slope).

(stomach ache, hyogaiji). Here, 山 was the phonetic element.

(boulder) / cliff. This is a simple ideogram (mountain + rock). At some stage it displaced an elaborate phono-semantic compound , which is now a jinmeiyo kanji with an altered meaning.

The mountain radical is used in the fabulous patchwork hyogaiji 糶, meaning auction.

One of my favourite kanji is (island), which uses the bird radical. It’d be nice to think that it was an ideogram, but in reality it seems to be a phonosemantic compound. It has a hyogaiji variant .

(crumble, die, demolish).

(storm)

(to be obstructed)

After working on this, I was inspired to come up with a list of some of the most complex kanji.

鑰 25 – lock. 金 + 龠

鬣 25 – mane. 髟 + 巤

鼈 25 – soft-shelled turtle. 敝 + 黽

黶 26 – mole / scar. 厭 + 黑

黷 27 – make dirty. 𧶠 + 黑

黌 25 – school.

鬮 26 – lottery. 鬥 + 龜

驪 29 – black horse. 馬 + 麗

鹽 25 – salt. 監 + 鹵

鸛 28 – stork. 雚 + 鳥

鸚 28 – parrot. 嬰 + 鳥

鱶 26 – shark. 魚 + 養

鱸 27 – sea bass. 魚 + 盧

In Latin, we’re going to do a Spotlight on Per-Verbs.

Wiktionary describes the per- prefix as having the function:

1. Used to make adjectives or verbs that are “very” something.
  2. Used to form verbs that are intensive or completive, conveying the idea of doing something all the way through or entirely.

There are a great many per- verbs, of which these are only a small selection. Sometimes it seems like the distinction between a per- verb and its root is unclear, eg. between perfluo and fluo. Perhaps it is just a matter of emphasis.

peragro I wander

perbachor I revel throughout

percido I smash / cut to pieces

perdo I destroy / squander

pereo I vanish

perficio I complete

pergaudeo I rejoice greatly

perhibeo I hold out

perluceo I shine through

permaneo I stay to the end

pernego I refuse entirely

peroleo I emit a penetrating odour