Language Learners' Library

Huh, some people really are getting worried about corona. You know, if you’re aged like 15–55 you really don’t have much to be anxious about. Just like any other flu-type disease.

1 Like

Also, if you want to learn another language then come and join us in the Language Learners’ Library! You’re always welcome :smiley:

Also @Vsotvep wouldn’t respond to my request to make a grammar challenge, he is ignoring me .__.

1 Like

I am anxious because everything is shutting down. I know I am not in the high risk category, but they have cancelled all majors sports in the US. I have heard that the MLB has never been shut down before, even in the world wars. Where I live, schools are closing or doing remote learning, all town activities are cancelled or delayed, and grocery stores and the library when I went today(last day for the public library to stay open until April), they were both more crowded than I had ever seen them, and more empty. Well the library was more the new section and a few other noticeable areas. I know some people that the only thing they can remotely compare this to is 9/11. It is very stressful, and at some point the reactions are adding to this stress and it just all piles up.

1 Like

About your language learners library, I really only noticed latin recently - well and english grammar. I can say one sentence in latin Caecilius est in Horto. Hopefully this is right. It is supposed to say Caecilius is in the garden. I know some random words and the first declension endings from when I took latin, but I haven’t found much of a use for it now in life.

1 Like

The culture was interesting though. I enjoyed learning about the gladiators and Mt. Vesuvius.

1 Like

Most people in the LLL are actually learning Japanese. It’s like, two-thirds Japanese-learners, me learning Latin, one or two people learning Chinese, and RubyMineshaft pretending to learn Esperanto.

Caecilius est in horto is totally correct. The tricky thing here is to use the right case: horto is in the ablative case, which is used to talk about something being in something else.

1 Like

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hortus

Here you can all the different cases and pluralisations of hortus (garden).

Is hortum correct then? I need the accusative case right? I also have just noticed more information in the topic about latin recently. I could find some of my old latin notes tomorrow because I don’t really have anything planned for the day.

No, horto is correct because Caecilius is in the garden. That means hortus, the garden, goes in the ablative case which is horto.

You made it sound like hortus was the wrong case. That is why I tried to correct it. I know that I used the nominative and the accusative cases the most and I already had nominative, and accusative usually ends in m. You said garden was hortus, so then I assumed it was second declension, even though I am supposed to look at the genitive case to find out, but I don’t know the genitive case that well.

Edit : except for first declenision

Summary

Also, I may have gotten gen and dat mixed up

Sing.    Plur.

nom: a. ae
gen: ae arum
dat: ae is
acc: am as
abl: a is

me completely failing to put the first declension in the summary : ) I fixed it though.

See:

Hortus pulcher parūit. (The garden looked beautiful.) hortus is the subject of the sentence and is in the nominative.

Est arborēs hortī meus. (These are my garden’s trees.) hortī is possessing something, and is in the genitive.

Caecilius hortum ingredit. (Caecilius went into the garden.) hortum is the object of the sentence and is in the accusative.

There isn’t really a good excuse that I can’t think of for putting it in the dative. The dative is for, like, if you’re giving something to someone.

Caecilus est in hortō. (Caecilius is in the garden.) hortō is a place someone is in, and is in the ablative.

Salvē, meus horte! (Hello, my garden!) horte is something you’re addressing, and is in the vocative.

you write the nominative and the vocative the same right? I forgot about the vocative.

Often but not always. In this case they’re different. The vocative often ends in -e whereas that is very rare for the nominative.

I was getting myself confused:)

You saying salve brings back memories from the start of my Latin class. I would write it out but I forget the spelling. I would always say I felt the same way no matter how I felt. :no_mouth:
I also look at the first few sentences and at first I have no clue what you are saying. I somewhat learned the 4th declension, but not quite the 5th declension, though I am starting to remember a few things during this conversation:)

1 Like

I’ll break it down for you :slight_smile:

I) Hortus pulcher parūit. (The garden looked beautiful.)

hortus (garden) is in the nominative singular.
pulcher (beautiful) is in the masculine singular, because it aligns with hortus which is a masculine noun.
parūit is the past tense third-person singular inflection of pāreō (to appear, to be visible.) I’m actually not sure whether it can be used in combination with adjectives: I could have played it safe and just used est here.

II) Est arborēs hortī meus. (These are my garden’s trees.)

arborēs is the nominative plural of arbor (tree)
hortī is the genitive singular of hortus
meus is “my” (masculine)

II) Caecilius hortum ingredit. (Caecilius went into the garden.)

Caecilius is in the nominative.
hortum is in the accusative
ingredit is the past-tense third-person singular inflection of ingredior (to enter). Like “ingress”.

1 Like

I was thinking ingredit meant ingredient:)
I shouldn’t assume two things that look similar are the same

It was ingredior as the root anyway, woops :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually many, many Latin words have descendants in English, either directly or via French or other Romance languages, and you will recognise them. Let’s look at just a few:

Latin English descendant
fēlēs feline
canis canine
flōs floral
pedester pedestrian
omnibus bus
mūnicipium municipal
dēns dental
nāvigium navy
grānum grain
equine equus

There are basically five sources of English words.

1. Old English, Norse and other Germanic languages
  2. French
  3. Latin
  4. Ancient Greek
  5. Other languages

To make it more interesting, often a single word originates in Ancient Greek, is adopted by Latin, transforms into a French term, and is finally loaned into English (where it undergoes anglicisation.)

1 Like

Very complex :slight_smile:
Do you know why it goes through this process, or does it just have to do with words changing over time?

Also wouldn’t other languages have the listed languages included?
It is easier showing where most of them come from though.