Language Learners' Library

inhales boi.

What do I keep telling you, you buckhead bugcat? Take care for agreement of case, number gender! If you leave your words they way you found them in your dictionary, they’ll always be in the nominative. What you’ve got here is:
I. The man runs stealing / The stealing man runs. (Or is running)
II. The stolen man buys a vase.
III. The stolen man bought a vase.
IV. I catch the man while I’m stealing.
V. Oh that I catch the man, whom the vase steals!
(Oh that I catch, that the man stole a vase)
VI. The stolen merchant buys the vase, no.
VII. I, who should get stealed, put a blanket on the vase.
VIII. I, who am stolen, beat the man with a vase.
IX. The stolen man hid gems inside a vase.

You see what happens, Larry? You see what happens when you leave adjectives in the nominative?

And I would check again if auferre really has the participle you think it has. Ferre is highly irregular, taking its perfect from tuli, tulisti, tulit and the perfect participle latus, -a, -um. Hence ablativus ‘the case for whence you took stuff’.

2 Likes

You sound exactly like what my Latin teachers sounded like :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I-I thought participles didn’t inflect, Sir

Sir -

Sir there was no need to throw chalk

That’s why I said the exercise is a lot easier in Japanese :stuck_out_tongue:

Speaking of which, time to start doing the exercise myself.

1 Like

Out of interest, what sort of school did you go to that you learnt Latin? In England the “comprehensive schools” where 90pc of people study don’t teach it.

I went to what I think is called a “grammar school” in English, although in the Netherlands we confusingly call it a “gymnasium”. In our country we have three main levels of high school education, depending on the kind of study you want to do. The one that prepares for university and scientific study is called “vwo” (standing for pre-scientific education), and then “gymnasium” is a special kind of vwo where you learn Latin and Ancient Greek.

I had 6 years of Latin, but never did anything to learn vocabulary or study the conjugations. I was pretty good with a dictionary and guessing what sentences meant, so translating always went well. Greek I did 3 years, but I found it a lot more confusing.

1 Like

Ah, yes, I’ve heard the Dutch education system described a little before. It seems to me that Latin teaching has decreased a lot in England over the last fifty years as we’ve transitioned from a “grammar / secondary modern” paradigm which separated an academic and a practical education based on an exam at age 10; in those days grammar schools (which teach Latin) were much more common. Now we have a system in which the secondary moderns were greatly academised to turn them into “comprehensives” and the grammars resultantly became much fewer, and the comprehensives didn’t start teaching Latin. Ofc., Boris Johnson et. David Cameron et. al. were taught Latin at the ancient fee-paying schools of the elite.

There aren’t many people who go to grammar schools here either, and in a certain way it’s perhaps more useful to learn German, French or Spanish. It’s definitely also a thing of the elite, I had a lot of rich children in my class (not me though). I don’t think our politics is as elitist as it is on the other side of the Channel, though.

Definitely you can earn more money, talk to more peopl etc. with a Romance language. I’m not passing judgement on whether Latin should be taught. And yes, our education system is very elitist. That said, I will point out that in the 1930s the illegitimate son of a farmer and a factory maid became the Prime Minister of the largest majority government this country has ever seen apart from Churchill’s wartime coalition.

It’s a bit distortive because, as I said, grammars were once more common. So several PMs, like John Major and Theresa May, came out of them. But overall an insultingly low 40pc or so of our MPs are from state schools.

@Vsotvep thanks for not responding, I get too easily derailed if people discuss stuff with me. That’s why 25 posts of this thread come from the Things you like to do thread. Let’s stay on topic.

1 Like

Hey, that is my fault too. When I talk normally, I will start talking about one thing and start talking about something else.

It is unrelated to languages, but an example is earlier I was talking about the rain with someone, and then we got into the subject of car crashes and we were having a debate about whether or not a car can slip.(I say a car slips and then slides, but they said that it just slides)

1 Like

Ah, it’s not that I’m not responding, I’m doing the grammar challenge now :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@Haze_with_a_Z You want to do some Japanese? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure let’s try some. Sorry if I’m no good. I can only say a few random words.

1 Like

How about learning the pronouns:

I
you
he
she

And the verbs

to go
to come
to have
to eat
to drink

And some nouns

Tokyo
Osaka
apple
water

And then combine them to make sentences

I go to Tokyo
You eat an apple
He drinks water
She has an apple
He comes from Tokyo
I go from Tokyo to Osaka

If you want help with translating, feel free to ask. I don’t know if you can read hiragana / katakana

1 Like

Is “he comes from Tokyo” in Japanese actually correct in the English sense of “he came here (some time ago) from Tokyo”?

I could say some of those. Some of them I get mixed up with such as the words for drink and read, and a few other things that I forget right now. I had never heard of katakana before last night when you showed me that website.

1 Like

I’m not sure, I’ll ask. I think it might mean “he is coming” or “he will come” instead of “he came”.

It’s difficult to make basic sentences…

1 Like

Show us how far you get :slight_smile: Feel free to use a dictionary, and I’ll help with the rest

2 Likes