Language Learners' Library

Thank you for the explanation, very interesting indeed. I love reading about differences in character usage among countries that use hanzi.

:sweat_smile:

Please don’t send me your 手çșž.

2 Likes

Oh, I just read out of the plural column on Wiktionary by mistake
 .___.

I should at least have realised whilst I was doing it that -orum is obviously a plural form. I was probably tired (will be my excuse : P)

I’ll write out the conjugation as penance:

bĂștĂœrum butter

nom. bĂștĂœrum, bĂștĂœra
acc. ditto
voc. ditto
dat. bĂștĂœrĂł, bĂștĂœrĂ­s
abl. ditto
gen. bĂștĂœrĂ­, bĂștĂœrĂłrum

1 Like

Sometimes I wonder about how the Japanese system of Kanji would translate to the conditions in Europe. Imagine using hieroglyphs or cuneiform. Then, “psychology” might be written like :ghost: :speech_balloon: and every student would have to learn when to pronounce a symbol with an anglo-reading, a latino-reading or a graeco-reading. And sometimes, we would write DINGIR in an Akkadian alphabet script but pronounce it “god” and to understand a well-made pun, we would need to know basic Sumerian.

2 Likes

When you think of Latin poets, you think of Virgil, Ovid, Horace and so on (well, perhaps not Horace). But ironically, I think it’s only Martial who has written poems that English-speakers are actually familiar with (in their translated forms), with many people who enjoy them having probably never even considered their authorship.

Mollia non rigidus caespes tegat ossa nec illi,
terra, grauis fueris: non fuit illa tibi.

from a longer poem about the death of a young slave girl, became in English

Lie lightly on her, turf and dew,
She put so little weight on you.

Non amo te, Sabide, nec possum dicere quare.
Hoc tantum possum dicere: non amo te

became in English

I do not like thee, Doctor Fell,
The reason why – I cannot tell;
But this I know, and know full well,
I do not like thee, Doctor Fell.

Perhaps the only other piece of Latin poetry in modern popular culture is Catullus’ dulce et decorum est pro patria mori (it is a sweet and noble thing to die for your country), which is now known only in its ironic form.

1 Like

“red wine”, the best-travelling phrase?

(btw, near the end of making this list I found out that glosbe.com has pretty much every translation dictionary you’ll ever want.)

It should be noted that all the variants of “wine” derive from Latin uinum, whereas the words for “red” often don’t come from Latin at all, but rather some other Indo-European language.

Language Phrase
Latin uinum rubeum
Italian vino rosso
Sardinian binu ruju
Romanian vin roșu
Spanish vino rosado
Portuguese vinho tinto*
French vin rouge
Rumansch vin cotschen*
German Rotwein
Dutch rode wijn
Danish, Norwegian rĂždvin
Swedish rödvin
Icelandic rauĂ°vĂ­n
Breton gwin ruz
Welsh gwin coch*
Irish, Scots Gaelic fĂ­on dearg*
Polish czerwone* wino
Russian ĐșŃ€Đ°ŃĐœĐŸĐ” ĐČĐžĐœĐŸ (krĂĄsnoje* vinĂł)
  • from Latin tinctum, tinted
  • from Latin coccinus, scarlet, ultimately from coccum
  • also from coccum
  • dearg is an indigenous Celtic word
  • like many other terms for red, eg. vermilion, this comes from a word that meant “worm” in reference to the use of scale insects to make red dye. In this case, a reconstructed Slavic word.
  • from a Slavic word ĐșŃ€Đ°ŃŃŒĐœê™‘Đž (krasÄ­nyi), meaning “beautiful”

Hmm, I could really have just made this post about the words for wine. The fact that uinum is the root for “wine” throughout all of Europe, even in non-Romance languages, really is interesting.

You can add ጐρυΞρός ÎżáŒ¶ÎœÎżÏ‚ and ÎșÎżÎșÎșÎčΜό ÎșÏÎ±ÏƒÎŻ. The modern Greek krasi means ‘mixture’ because you used to mix wine with water.

The Georgian word for wine is ɣvino. The Georgians claim to have ‘invented’ viticulture, so I suspect this is their native, Kartvelian word for it and everybody else borrowed it; but I can’t say for sure.

1 Like

Apparently ÉŁ is a voiced velar fricative in IPA, whereas ʒ (the s in pleasure) is a voiced palatoalveolar fricative, and z is a voiced alveolar fricative.

As a side note, I used to think zh in Pinyin represented ʒ in Mandarin, but apparently it really stands for an entirely foreign sound ʈʂ. We Europeans can only try our best with Chinese phonology

Secondary side note, I recently made a false claim that there were no word pairs in English distinguished solely by the difference between ξ (the voiceless dental fricative, as in thin) and ð (the voiced dental fricative, as in then). Within thirty minutes or so, we’d found teeth / teethe, wreath / wreathe, loath / loathe, sooth / soothe, and thistle / this’ll.

1 Like

So, you want to kibitz in Latin?

Alright, let’s start by importing some Japanese loanwords which we might find useful.

moyo becomes moio; tsumego becomes sumego. Moio, sumego, and dango will decline like capo (capon):

nom., voc. dango, dangones
acc. dangonem, dangones
gen. dangonis, dangonum
dat. dangoni, dangonibus
abl. dangone, dangonibus

Latin nouns don’t end in -i in the nominative singular, so we’ll have to change them to -is.
Thus seki --> secis, joseki --> iosecis, fuseki --> fusecis, aji --> aiis, kakari --> cacaris, shimari --> simaris, hoshi --> hosis.

These words will decline like canis (dog).

nom., voc. secis, seces
acc. secem, seces
gen. secis, secum
dat. seci, secibus
abl. sece, secibus

There are also no normal Latin nouns which end in _-e_in the nominative singular, so our loanwords will take -a endings instead. dame becomes dama, and declines like puella (girl).

nom., voc. dama, damae
acc. dama, damas
gen. damae, damarum
dat. damae, damis
abl. dama, damis

tengen we will decline like carmen:

nom., voc., acc. tengen, tengina
gen. tenginis, tenginum
dat. tengini, tenginibus
abl. tengine, tenginibus

Now, we need some indigenous nouns.

player = lusor, -ris
Black = Ater
White = Candida
corner = angulus, -i
side = latus, -era
eye = oculus, -i
stone = calculus, -i

eg. “a black stone on tengen” = calculus ater in tengine.

1 Like

I’d say that tumego is closer to the original pronunciation. Many Japanese speakers are not consciously aware of the s, just like British speakers wouldn’t think there’s an h in “butter” (while American speakers wouldn’t consider the middle consonant to be a d ).

Also, wasn’t there a book in Latin describing the game of Go? Might be interesting to look for inspiration.

In the West, we invariably say sumego
 but I see your point.

Where is there an h in butter?

Here’s the book, we discussed it earlier in the thread.

There isn’t, but British dialect pronounces it more like “bhutther”.

Similar to how there’s no s in ぀めご

1 Like

As an Englishman, I beg to differ.

There’s also no h in Wiktionary’s IPA rendition of the word in British English.

There is: [ˈbɐtʰə].

Perhaps not the b, but surely the tt in the middle is aspirated.

Also, by saying there isn’t an h, you’re kind of proving my point that there isn’t an s. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d prefer them to decline like Isis, Isidis which is a usual pattern for loanwords from “barbaric” languages. In short words like secis, educated speakers familiar with Greek can sometimes use an accusative in -in, or assimilate the word to the i-declension (sitis, turris, puppis, febris) -im.

This is fine. But you can keep the -e and have it behave like Greek loanwords that in a Roman mouth will go something like *dame, damae; damen, damas; dames, damarum; damae, damis; dama, damis.

I wonder if we can even go as far and say tumego, retaining an Old Japanese pronounciation.

candidus is a good choice for white, even better the female as a “name” for the white player. The white stones are indeed quite shiny, and not just a regular bland milky-white. The De ludis orientalibus libri duo treats it as a Chinese game.

2 Likes

I pronounce tengen with a hard g, as in “ghetto”.
I think probably latin would use a mild g, as in “gender”. Would it fit anyway?
I feel weird saying “tenjen” :grin: (as in january)

1 Like

In the classical pronunciation Latin has alway a hard g.

3 Likes

But what would “western” Go terms be if it was invented or introduced here at a time where scholars would come up with graeco-latin terminology instead of German, English, French and whatever?

moyo - peritaxis
atari - kindynos, discrimen
seki - allelobiosis
joseki - solitum
aji - chymos
fuseki - kataskeue; anoigma
chugo - symbolé
dame - exodos
tengen - omphalos
semeai - pnigos

2 Likes

What is chugo?

hoshi could be astrum, but ofc that’s just a calque. A more inventive name would be nonus (a ninth). Or perhaps urbs, harking back to that geographical motif I talked about earlier.

As for eyes, they could really be any body part that comes in pairs, like manus (hands). Or, better, one eye could be Castor and two Castores (Castor & Pollux).

nares :rofl:

1 Like

papillae :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like