Language Learners' Library

I see they revived Bactria in their article Bactriana Pax.

Wikipedia defines Bactria as “… the country between the range of the Hindu Kush and the Amu Darya in the Middle East, encompassing parts of northern Afghanistan, eastern Turkmenistan, southern Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and northern Pakistan.”

Since they later refer to the Talebanus, -orum, we can deduce that Afghanistan is being referred to, with Bactriana Pax then translatable as Peace in Afghanistan.

More interesting New Latin in the article Armamentarium Taivanum: Commercium Boreoamericanum, presumably reading Taiwanese Arms: Trade with the USA.

Taivanum for “Taiwanese” feels like an awkward coining compared to Formosicum.

The New Latin for France is apparently Francogallia, -ae.

1 Like

This is one copy of a common and well-preserved Latin inscription, the Edict on Maximum Prices, or “Edict Concerning the Sale Price of Goods” (Edictum de Pretiis Rerum Venalium), issued by Emperor Diocletian in 301 CE.

2 Likes

The treasure trooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove!

1 Like

This here is quite entertaining if you have the humour of a teenager, like I have:

It’s a satirical dramatic poem about Luther, his friends, and their wives. As you might now, he used to be a monk and got married later…

1 Like

another treasure trove, my matey!

1 Like

in medias res (found): in or into the middle of a narrative or plot (M-W)

What are some more interesting ones (extra points for one not yet in English dictionary)? Experto crede!

I followed the first 3 lessons of this tutorial: A Hungarian Language Course
(I think the brick background in §“Alphabet and Pronunciation” is subtly helpful.)

Quick notes…
  • Basic form (stem) of verb is in 3rd person singular; Even though I wrote English definition in infinitive, infinitive would actually require -ni—e.g.,
    ül “he/she/it sits” → ülni “to sit”
  • In equational sentences with 3rd person subject, “to be” can be omitted—e.g.,
    a város szép “the city is beautiful”

(Does anyone know a tutorial with similar style for Finnish? I found this instead: Linguistics Challenge Puzzles.)

Szótár (szó "word" + tár "storage place")…
magyar cognates / notes English
fáraó PharaoLatin pharaoh
nép nő→né “woman” + fiú→p “boy” ?? people (as a large group)
-a, -e, -ja, -je ([noun] + possessive);
([verb] + personal, as in “it contains [that]”)
nagy big, great
nem no, not
néz nähdäfi (transitive) to look
oda (related to (?)) ott “there, over there” there (to that place)
és (doublet of) is “too, even, again” and
senki sem (se) “neither” + ki “who” nobody, none
lát to see (to perceive with the eyes)
Fáraó népe, nagy maharadzsa
nem néz oda és senki se látja.
Szótár…
durva coarse (of inferior quality), rough
fej pääfi head
ha hogy “how” + -á (personal, archaic) if, when, once
kérdez kér “to make a request” + -d + -e- (linking vowel) + -z (verb-forming) to ask (a question)
felel fél “party, participant” + -el (verb-forming) to answer
Alkoholista, durva fej.
Ha kérdezik, nem felel.
Szótár…
a, az the
király коро́льru, Karlde (given name) king
lélek löylyfi “steam or heat of sauna” soul
biztos bízik “to trust” secure, sure; surely, probably
jár to go, to move between places
iszik juodafi to drink
A maharadzsa az nagy király.
Lelke biztos Indiába jár.

Nem iszik és nem is durva fej,
Ha kérdezik, nem felel. 

I think the last part is missing.

References

1 Like

Map of the Uralic languages, including Finnish and Hungarian:

Compare to the distribution of the Turkic languages:

2 Likes

Russian poem in Tarkovsky film Mirror:

Первые свиданья (wikiquote) “First dates” by Arseny Tarkovsky

I also found something called “phonetic” keyboard for Russian (even one with Dvorak!)—when I type d a, I get да (“yes”). (It was already installed, I guess when I’d installed Japanese input method.)

2 Likes

Russian words with non-slavic relation

а б в г д е   а́ е́ и́ о́ у́ ы́ э́ ю́ я́
ё ж з и й к
л м н о п р
с т у ф х ц
ч ш щ ъ ь ы
э ю я

<sub>*n*</sub> | <small>(*diminutive*)</small> |
Russian Related words English
вино́n vīnumla wine
вода́f water
молоко́n milk
ночьf nochees night
ого́ньm ignisla fire
снегm snow
спать sōpiōla, soporificen to sleep
шпа́гаf spadait, spathala (of Greek origin), (diminutive) spatulala, en rapier

Could someone make this a wiki, please?Thanks @AdamR

1 Like

вино́ derives from Latin uinum, -i, a word with many European descendants even outside the Romance languages.

See my post about the phrase “red wine”.

шпа́га (rapier) comes from Italian spada, Latin spatha, -ae, of Greek origin; cf. English spatula, a diminutive.

1 Like

What’s the word for sleep again? I believe it’s related to greek ὕπνος and latin somnus via PIE *suepnos.

1 Like

“雪の降る町を” (lyricstranslate), in the ending of Aki Kaurismäki’s La Vie de bohème Жизнь богемы

1 Like

Some of those make sense, though: P p looks similar to rho, and /b/ and /v/ differ only in manner of articulation.

1 Like

There are languages with more letters that look identical to English.
Which letters have such problem?

• The silent W and Y in pinyin

• The use of Y by old-school Japanese romanisation in syu, to represent しゅ, when there’s no /j/ in that sound

• X in Ancient Greek represents /kʰ/. X in Standard Chinese pinyin represents something like /ʃ/ (sh). In the alphabets of some African languages, X even represents a click consonant.

• In early Latin, Y had the usual pronunciation /u, u:/; in classical and later Latin /i, i:/. Educated speakers familiar with Greek, though, would be able to use the Ancient Greek pronunciation, which was /y, y:/. This vowel doesn’t exist in most dialects of English, although it’s found in other European languages like German and Dutch. English books on Latin tend to give as an example French U, eg. in tu.

2 Likes

English itself is an outlier as well, where the A is pronounced like what in most languages is written as E, while the E is sometimes pronounced like what is written as I in most other languages.

1 Like

in English every letter may have multiple pronunciations, just like kanji in Japanese
A is pronounces like in most languages in word “target”

2 Likes

I as AI, AI as EI, EI as I

I was looking around for something else, but I found an old article about Diogenes the Cynic, so here is a small part of it that you might enjoy, some of his great replies and, most importantly, linguistic puns, of which he was famous of.

Pun no.1
Legend has it that Alexander the Great visited Diogenes when he was lying in the market, basking in the sun outside of his ceramical pot he used as a dwelling. When Alexander asked of Diogenes if he could do anything for him, Diogenes replied with the simple reply “ΑΠΟΣΚΟΤΗΣΟΝ ΜΕ” which in that context meant “You are blocking the sun”, but even today when someone is annoying and we want to get rid of him the phrase “stop bothering me” is “μη με σκοτίζεις” which means “stop darkening me (my day)” … imagine saying that to the most powerful man in your country. Alexander himself was said to have been impressed by the response.

Pun no.2
Upon learning that a particular doctor, who was a known womanizer, was called to heal the eye ( eye = οφθαλμός, pupil = κόρη ) of a young unmarried girl ( unmarried daughter = κόρη ), Diogenes commented “ΟΡΑ ΜΗ ΤΟΝ ΟΦΘΑΛΜΟΝ ΘΕΡΑΠΕΥΩΝ, ΤΗΝ ΚΟΡΗΝ ΦΘΕΙΡΗΣ” which translates to “beware whether you damage the κόρη, while trying to heal the eye”, playing on the double meaning of the word “κόρη”, as well as the double meaning of “φθείρω” which can mean physical and ethical damage.

Pun no.3
Once Diogenes saw a very bad drawing of two centaurs and he wondered “ΠΟΤΕΡΟΣ ΤΟΥΤΩΝ ΧΕΙΡΩΝ ΕΣΤΙ” which means “which one of them is drawn the worst?”, but “ΧΕΙΡΩΝ” does not only mean “worse”, but was also the name of the mythical centaur and mentor of Hercules, Χείρων (Chiron). So, his words could have also means “which one of them is Chiron?”

Good reply no.1
When asked which animal is the most dangerous, Diogenes replied “ΕΚ ΤΩΝ ΗΜΕΡΩΝ ΟΙ ΚΟΛΑΚΕΣ ΕΚ ΤΩΝ ΑΓΡΙΩΝ ΟΙ ΣΥΚΟΦΑΝΤΑ” which means “out of the tame ones, the flatterers. Of the wild ones, the sycophant.”

Good reply no.2
Once, at a musical performance, the guitar player was a person that was huge and muscular, but was horrible at playing the guitar. After the song was done, the viewers booed and jeered, but only Diogenes was heartily clapping. When he was asked why he was applauding such a horrible performance Diogenes replied “ΔΙΟΤΙ ΤΗΛΙΚΟΥΤΟΣ ΩΝ ΚΙΘΑΡΩΔΕΙ ΚΑΙ ΟΥ ΛΗΣΤΕΥΕΙ!” which means “because that man chose to play the guitar, instead of becoming a highwayman/brigand”

Good reply no.3
When a bald man cursed/swore at Diogenes in the market, Diogenes replied: "ΕΓΩ ΟΥ ΛΟΙΔΟΡΩ ΑΛΛΑ ΤΑΣ ΤΡΙΧΑΣ ΕΠΑΙΝΩ, ΟΤΙ ΚΡΑΝΙΟΥ ΚΑΚΟΥ ΑΠΗΛΛΑΓΗΣΑΝ” which translates “I will not swear at you, but instead I will praise your hair that decided to do away with such an ill-tempered skull”

7 Likes

A classics professor goes to the taylor’s for his trousers. The taylor asks ‘Euripides?’ - ‘Yes. Eumenides?’

1 Like