Let's play Tibetan go!

In another Weiqi tiandi, there is a long following article, including a study on the place, published in 2006-2008 (from my weak memory, I forgot which month exactly) for reference to who wants more on Tibetan go. I dunno if there is a translation in English somewhere.

2 Likes

(Copied from my KataGo thread)

I asked high-playout KataGo to play two games from the Tibetan starting position on a 17 x 17 board. I still used NZ rules and 7 komi.

White won the first game, but the second (bottom variation in the same file) was a breathtaking draw. Here is my 10 kyu interpretation:

Moves 13 - 48 are an exciting early middle game.
Moves 49 - 69 black builds a ko factory.
Moves 70 - 90 white builds a ko factory of its own.
Moves 145 - 247 is the ko fight.

And Clydevil (OGS 2d)'s interpretation:

49-69 for black is just a way to invade the white framework. You just have to see the whole maneuver as invading the whole top left. it’s common when invading framework to play at several places and key points at the same time and deciding at some point what to sacrifice and what to make live. Here black discards the left and stabilizes the top part.
70-73 can be seen as probing exchanges, white makes black decide how he will kill it, thus deciding forcing moves in the vicinity.
74-75 can be seen as a first use of this white aji built in sente, white plays at the top 74, removing pbs in its shape and preparing an attack on the top group, black needs to answer to avoid things around K6 or H6 that could be large white reductions. So I guess here that white is just happy with 70-75 to play 74 in some kind of sente.
76-87 tries to recycle the white death into something useful, and it seems that what is mainly accomplished here is white huge yose at M2 followed by N2 (which is hard to see because in the game white changes it’s mind and do not play N2, but locally white N2 instead of the game move 92 would be logical).

1 Like