Live Go event + New Go club + Free Go books in Catalan [UPDATED]

On Saturday, April 22th, the inauguration of the Go club took place in the Gran Penya de Vilanovai la Geltrú. This institution is a cultural and recreational center that was founded in 1913 and has chess, bridge, billiards and bingo sections and from today it has a section for Go.

To celebrate it, an event was held which, during the morning, consisted of a conference entitled “Two games, two worlds” where the culture of the East and the West was addressed through its two well-known strategy games: go and chess. This content is based on the articles I had published in the EGJ in the September, October and November-December editions.

Next, the Catalan translation of the book “A Go guide for a beginner” was presented, explaining how it was born within the framework of a multilingual Go book project to promote Go and counter its current dissemination. Also, its content and mode of use for club members and new fans were detailed in broad strokes and copies of the book were given as a gift. Finally, it was explained how the idea had arisen on my part and how, as a result of this initiative, the two translators Ferran Bassols and me met a year ago and had decided to found a Go club together and inaugurate it within the framework of the annual party of Sant Jordi, which is a day where culture, love and life are celebrated by giving away roses and books.

In the afternoon there were simultaneous games and teaching games as well as a Go workshop for people who wanted to begin playing Go. There was a good influx of people of different ages who participated with great interest in the different activities. The atmosphere was phenomenal, people were surprised and very attracted by the novelty and beauty of the game and were interested in joining the club activities to learn and play more.

I want to thank all the people who have helped me throughout this journey and, especially, Haris Kapolos for his tenacity and the members of the Go la Pedra club for giving me their help and kind collaboration.

— Joan Luis

4 Likes