Long, all-day game

Another potentially related post: Correspondence game "timezone" preference

I suppose the broader realization here is, that we’d ideally like to simultaneously:

• allow for multiple hour gaps in game play, optionally spread the game over a handful of days
  • have the clock enforce several moves (maybe just 3, maybe 100) per day

But to do both of those at the same time, we’d really support from the web site for some kind of negotiation of when the players are both agreeing to play, because it is not enough for one of the players to be online for 2 hours if the other player is away at the same time - at most 1 move could be made during that 2 hour period.

As noted above, if you can agree to such a game via a side channel (on the forum, chat) then that will work (without enforcement from the site), with pauses or with no clock.

The best that the site can provide right now for this might be absolute time - set 3 days of absolute time and negotiate the times to meet up with the other player at the start of the game. That might be OK?

My favorite idea might be to use Fishcer clock, though there’s a bit of a gap for useful increments/maximums for this purpose ATM (no increment options between 30m and 4h). For 15 moves / day I’d want to set 1h30m increments and 2 days max time, but that’s not supported by neither live nor correspondence time settings. If you wanted wanted to enforce 50 moves / day then you’d want 30m increments with 2d max time, which is would be a combination of live increment and correspondence max time :slight_smile:

IDK if any developer knows if the time settings are limited in this way for simplicity, or if there is a more fundamental reason why it would be difficult for the site to allow for such time settings? In principle, time settings like these describe my ideal situation the best - I would like to play live-ish games but I could also walk away from the game and agree to continue it later in another sitting if the game runs into dinner time, or my daughter asks for help with her homework or whatever.

5 Likes