Looking for teaching game 25k player

When I began Go I got demoralized really quickly. It was 50-ish games until I won my first match, and I was playing against children. Then again, we were all figuring out the rules, so none among us knew what we were doing. Regardless, I was always on the losing end. Statistically I should have had some wins in there :sob:. After my first win, it was another 50-ish until I had my second.

Around my 70th match I picked up the AGA book, The Way To Go. Then we all knew how to play, but I simply couldnā€™t figure out how the game was being scored. It was around my 100th game that I hopped onto OGS. I won a couple of games, but I lost 20 for those two. Finally I read the Chinese rules online and started playing Chinese games. Now that I could count I had a fighting chance. From that point forward I began winning 30% to 40% of my games and I have only improved since.

It feels humiliating to admit this in public, but that was my journey. I donā€™t know what it was about Go but it truly took me a little while to wrap my head around it. During that time I developed a bit of a complex about losing. My sons shot up to the 20K - 22K ranks pretty fast and I continued to struggle to move past 24K. My rank became such a sore point for me that playing Go felt toxic. I felt like less and I was so flustered and frustrated. I began researching how progression in Go skills worked and looking for conversations on the topic.

During that time I found a Case Study performed on Go players that tried to analyze how playing Go affected the brain. It stated that when emotional states were negative or the brain was frustrated, a players ability would tank. That the type of analytical thinking that Go requires also requires the player to be clear headed and focused. I realized then that the state I was in was probably the biggest hurdle that I faced. The more I looked at advice from better players to new players, the more I saw the pattern of ā€œtake it easyā€, ā€œdonā€™t sweat your rankā€, and ā€œyou really donā€™t learn anything when you win, so donā€™t sweat your lossesā€.

So I stopped playing ranked games for a while, so that I didnā€™t focus on it anymore. After a little time I would start again. A little bit after I would notice myself getting emotionally attached to my rank and equating itā€™s value to my own capabilities and worth. I had this on and off again relationship with it a while and eventually the advice I had read really sunk in. Now if I catch myself worried about my rank, I will play during times I feel like I cannot give the game my full attention. I do this to tank my rank so that I can stop worrying about losing it. Once it is lost, the feelings subside and I go back to playing matches with little to no care.

Go has been this really crazy ride for me in the sense that it has helped me to learn humility. Iā€™ve been competitive in past hobbies and activities and have enjoyed a lot of success. As Iā€™ve gotten older Iā€™ve tried to get away from that mentality, as I came to realize that to be number one, I had to live a pretty single minded existence. Now that I am older and have a family, I strive to be more flexible and to take things more casually. Old habits die hard though. I still struggle a little here and there with my rank, but Iā€™m happier playing and more interested in Go than I have ever been.

I share this information with you in hopes that if you struggle in any way with your rank, to know that you are not alone. And if you donā€™t, as a cautionary reminder of what caring about it too much, might lead to if you arenā€™t able to reign it in :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

5 Likes