Make "analysis disabled" the default (poll) - COMING SOON!

Ok, not site-wide but it’s a start. All votes are anonymous so you can answer honestly.

First, live games. Then same questions again for correspondence.

Do you play live games with analysis on?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
If you do play live games with analysis on, do you use it at all (not conditional moves)?
  • Yes, lots
  • Yes, sometimes
  • Yes, on rare occasions
  • No, never
  • N/A - I don’t play live games with analysis on
0 voters
If you do play live games with analysis on, do you use the conditional moves feature?
  • Yes, lots
  • Yes, sometimes
  • Yes, on rare occasions
  • No, never
0 voters
If you do play live games with analysis on, do you ever use it (analysis or conditional moves) to read sequences that you could not have read in your head anyway?
  • Yes, lots
  • Yes, sometimes
  • Yes, on rare occasions
  • No, never
0 voters
Do you play correspondence games with analysis on?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
If you do play correspondence games with analysis on, do you use it at all (not conditional moves)?
  • Yes, lots
  • Yes, sometimes
  • Yes, on rare occasions
  • No, never
  • N/A - I don’t play correspondence games with analysis on
0 voters
If you do play correspondence games with analysis on, do you use the conditional moves feature?
  • Yes, lots
  • Yes, sometimes
  • Yes, on rare occasions
  • No, never
0 voters
If you do play correspondence games with analysis on, do you ever use it (analysis or conditional moves) to read sequences that you could not have read in your head anyway?
  • Yes, lots
  • Yes, sometimes
  • Yes, on rare occasions
  • No, never
0 voters
2 Likes

I think the one about reading sequences that you couldn’t have read in your head is a bit vague. How does one know that one couldn’t do something like that? For example in the correspondence poll, if you spent a day or a week reading out the position is it possible to read out something you can play out in analysis in a few minutes? Probably I imagine.

Another slight advantage of analysis is that one can look at the final position on the board and decide if it looks good enough, which is an extra thing on top of reading a sequence.

(Anyway maybe we can discuss it a bit more after the votes come in so as not to lose where the poll is ^^)

2 Likes

You just know! :wink:

I used to use analysis like that when I was a beginner. I would try out moves and then see what that looks like, and then try out opponent responses, etc etc. You end up in positions 5, 10, 20 or more moves down the line that you could not have read in your head with your skill level at that time. Or you read in your head and then play it out in analysis and spot, for example, a shortage of liberties that you missed with in-head reading.

This is actually the most important question as this is the one that gets to the heart of whether people are using analysis to help them play better than they would without it.

2 Likes

I frankly find it very improbable to believe analysis THAT deep is possible under live time controls… Surely you would lose more from time pressure than any theoretical gain through analysis…

1 Like

heres the thing about these polls and stuff it feels like we dont involve the community of ogs enough for them. a lot of important issues arent known about

just a thought. maybe ill make a thread or something

1 Like

Maybe you can just promote some threads you like between chat users.(and yes please start a new topic if you like to discuss this, we are going OT)

I agree. :+1:

Perhaps I should qualify my statement:

I was doing that in correspondence games. In live, would be too difficult because of time pressure. Read killer sequence, but lose on time, LOL :laughing:

Which kind of address some people’s concerns that people are “cheating” in live games by using analysis. Logistically, going to be very difficult to gain a significant advantage under time pressure. So then maybe there is no problem? :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

What is the longest time setting in a live game? Using analysis in a 2hrs (+byo yomi) shouldn’t pose too much logistic problem.

4 Likes

How often do you see people playing 2hr live games online?

1 hour per move.

4 Likes

:laughing: Brutal time setting!! You have to check for a move at least once an hour, every hour, for about 10 days! :dizzy_face:

5 Likes

Sure. That’s still a live game and i guess that all the answers using the words ‘live game’ are only considering some 10mn+30s setting when it can take many larger configurations.

A 10+30s byo is very different from a 1hr+byo which is common setting for some tournaments, (even with 45mn)

3 Likes

All IRL tournament games I’ve ever played had 1 hr + 3x30 seconds byoyomi for each player.
I don’t play live tournaments online, but those that I know had same time settings. They are online replacement for IRL tournaments.

2 hrs for a live game are not so strange.

1 Like

You can also easily set up tournaments as analysis disabled… this discussion is about regular live games setup between 2 users, and whether analysis on or off makes more sense as a default. (since both settings are available, which one is default seems of little consequence to me, but here we are).

2 Likes

Ha

1 Like

It’s not theoretical but about the image given by OGS for new comers

Is OGS still mostly a world turning around correspondance games
Or
Did OGS integrate the specific features of live and blitz?

1 Like

Whole italian NGL (national go league, a tournament during many months, with divisions and a sort of “superbowl”) is made of “regular live games setup between 2 users” mainly here on OGS.

Letting players arrange their own games inside a live tournament using online platforms is quite common here. Ogs and Kgs are typical choices.
Players can arrange also date and time inside a range given (a week or so).

I believe these aren’t typical live game settings, but they exist.

2 Likes

I acknowledge that these edge cases exist, and totally agree that analysis disabled generally makes sense in most tournament settings… but surely when discussing which setting is default, we must primarily look at the most common type of game being played (I suspect something in the area of 10 min + 5x30s byo-yomi, non-tournament) rather than the edge cases? These cases are valid and that’s why both options exist, but really what is a default setting other than a recognition of which option is most often desired?

1 Like

We already told about beginner mode choice when creating new account. What about setting analysis on as default for beginners and off as default for normal new users?

This is an idea that has been proposed, but does not currently exist. The total experience of creating a new account is entering a username and password (and optionally an email) and then you are immediately taken to an empty home page with a link at the top directing new players to the learn to play page… at no point is the account associated as beginner or experienced.