Malkovitch protection, please!

Well, if you really want to solve that problem, you can just make all of your games private. That way, only your account and your opponent’s account, (the one they’re currently playing in), can view the game.

2 Likes

Good tip.

I might just do that.

In my opinion this would not be as good as making Malkovich not available till after the match for ranked games, because I like looking at my opponent’s games, and I feel they should be able to look at mine as well.

Can you unprivate them after they are finished?

Pretty sure the answer is no. Your decision is locked in once the game is created.

I’m not sure as I’ve never set up a private game, though I would think there would be some sort of option to do so?..

It might make sense that you can’t, because arguably you could chat about something private and then your oppo finds that you’ve opened it to the world. I dunno - just thinking about what might the argument be?

Anyhow, more importantly: why not just make Malkovich private until the ranked game ends?

As a fun read, I found this topic thread while looking for the answer to the “can private games be reversed” question.

EDIT: also this

Extra EDIT: I couldn’t find the answer to the above question, so I gave it its own thread here.

Why not have both options, i.e., a public Malkovitch that’s visible to everyone except the opponent during the game and saved to sgf, and a private Malkovitch that’s visible only to the player making the log and not saved to sgf? :wink:

1 Like

I think the answer to this is “because generally you want to be able to write it privately during the game (unless it is a spectator game specifically) but you want to be able to share it later”

So the need is not for two sorts of Malkovich, but rather improved control over when it can be seen.

GaJ

Yeah I think if you had a private mal option during play that auto combined with the public one when the game is finished that’d be good.

2 Likes

And is there really some benefit to having the malkovitch visible to spectators? What’s the use? wouldnt it be simpler to just have one Malkovitch that is private until the end of game? I am not really a fan of having twenty buttons almost no-one will use…

2 Likes

If you know the game is being watched you may want a way to talk about the game to them without your opponent seeing it mid play

still, you will not see whatever they answer to that until the game ends…
I dunno, to me it seems like the usability is very minor.

So is there a feature request out for this? Because I also don’t like that my Malkovitch log can be seen by other players before the game is over.

1 Like

That’s what Malkovich log is for: sharing your thoughts to espectators. So, it’s always an honor-based feature with your opponent.

What you are looking for is Private Notes, a different thing, not called Malkovich log. So, what we can do is request this feature, and if you want to share all those notes after the game ends, you can just copy-paste them on Malko or chat (you can even chose what to share and what not to share).

EDIT: Just for reference: http://senseis.xmp.net/?MalkovichGame

Sounds good to me. Is there a feature request for that?

(I suppose I should clarify that I wouldn’t care as much if the Malkovitch log was also hidden from non-logged-in sessions, so that if I logout from a game my comments are not public. But this also appears to be against the spirit of the log.)

Not yet

I’ve invited @anoek to this thread, maybe he’s interested in some ideas that have been mentioned here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The Malkovitch is a fun feature, especially when there is a substantial audience, and it can also be instructive (similar to what Haylee does in her videos, though not necessarily on the same level). It was used to excellent effect in the series of games between @thought and @coleki a few months ago. The Malkovitch often sparks discussion among the spectators, making it rather like a big party.

3 Likes

Yeah - I like the party thing, and in that case it’s clear the observers should be able to see the log.

Is this party only applicable live? And does it have to be ranked? And do anonymous people have to be able to see it?

Those to me are the questions.

So that we could conceivably get to a place where you can have parties and you can have less temptation to just go and look at your opponent’s log in a ranked game.

GaJ

“[quote]
Comments by both players and spectators are usually hidden from the players until the end of the game, so as not to influence their thought processes.[/quote]”

That’s really all that’s being asked for: solid hiding of the comments by both players from the players.

Is that were in place, then the implementation would serve both purposes well: real time malkovitch as per sensei’s and what you are calling “private notes”.

Note that if there was to be a “private notes” feature, “copy and paste into the chat” would not work - the comments would lose their content (what turn they were said in).

In contrast, the current Malkovitch implementation nails this already.

GaJ