Maybe 2024 will be better

3 Likes

If I got 5 M$ each time I’m mislead like that, I’d be a billionaire by now.

4 Likes

I assume this would be 5m to be shared between 5m people after deduction of legal costs…

4 Likes

Likely, the settlement would be paid to class members as a coupon for a free Hershey bar, but at least the lawyers might collect a nice fee.

2 Likes

To me this sort of lawsuits are like “Only in America”.

7 Likes

Ever wondered what colour Uranus really is? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes
Details hidden for the sake of your sanity

LOL, just kidding :rofl:

1 Like

But honestly, that’s why we have hand mirrors, no?

But seriously, why didn’t they take a torch with them and shine it at Uranus?

But really seriously now: I’ve had enough of that herbal liqueur for tonight. Guess I shouldn’t play any more moves in my corr. games.

1 Like

I’m on this herbal liquid this evening/night:

2 Likes

Op jij gezondheid! (correct?)

Alcohol is not usually my drug … for decades I had thought that my system can’t use alcohol AT ALL because I used to ride the carousel and puke from smaller amounts of beer, wine, champagne — until I discovered harder stuff :smiley: So it seems that my system does not tolerate alcohol if it is diluted too much! And with liquors I can dose exactly how much is OK for me … I do react to smallest amounts and I sense how my mouth and tongue already get a little bit drunk when I take a sip of, for example, Jonge Genever (or Grappa, whatever) and let it run around in my mouth. So, usually 2 cl. is totally enough for me, with max. being 4 cl, above that I get drunk, which I dislike very much.

2 Likes

Almost correct.
“jij” = you/du, 1st case or nominativ. But it should be “jouw” = your/dein(e), 2nd case or genitiv. Then it would mean “to/on your health!” (cheers/prost!).

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/HumansNoContext/status/1741853474705330461

It’s a video, and apparently it can’t be embedded in discourse, but here’s a screenshot of the post:

2 Likes

Same feeling as when i saw that pic from @gennan at the beginning of the thread

3 Likes

I really liked it at the last concert I went to, before it begun, one of the lead singers got on stage to make a small preface and gave everyone a simple “order”: “Don’t use your phones to record the show, the sound will be shit in your recording anyway. Put them in your pockets, enjoy the show, cherish the memory and if you really want to relive it, buy the DVD that will come out next year”.

A win-win situation for everyone. The artists get to play in front of an attentive audience, the audience doesn’t have to deal with the “hold my phone up to record” people, we all get to have fun and the band can sell the DVDs later :slight_smile:

I have to say that I was very impressed that 99% percent listened to that and complied (a couple of people here and there got their phones out for a minute or two - probably “influencers” - and that was it). So, it would seem that people do listen to reason, but left on their own they have acquired a tendency to record everything.

and he was saying that before the “smart phone era” :sweat_smile:
(the question at 0:35 always seemed interesting to me)

4 Likes

Maybe in the near future, people will want to record their entire life, 24h/day. And they could watch records of themselves watching records of themselves watching…

5 Likes

We were at Plaça d’Espanya (Spain Plaza) in Barcelona, looking toward the Palau Nacional (National Palace), together with some 80,000 people.
I’d say that maybe 1/3 of the people had their phones out to take pictures or videos of the fireworks. I wasn’t one of them, but my wife was, taking that picture.
She is usually the one making pictures. We were in Barcelona for a week and during that time she took more than a 1000 pictures and I took around 5.

3 Likes

Imho it’s linked to a broader access to a camera (thanks to mobile phones). One has to stay put in today’s trends.
Other changes came in, especially in the functionality of reporting (testimony of acts in work and home too, like did you close the door or you parked wrongly). I’m still quite old fashioned in all these.

1 Like

I used to take pictures in the 1980s too, but sparingly, since all photos were printed and most of them put in an album. Now we take many more pictures but don’t look at them anymore.

3 Likes

I’ve been through every phase of picture-taking and not taking. I took a moderate number of pictures with my first, Christmas-present camera when I was a kid (film and development were expensive), Then, as a teen, I gave up photography on philosophical grounds, so I could better experience events without distraction (just as George Carlin implies in that clip, above). When I began to visit all the major U.S. Civil War battlefields, my father gave me a terrific compact camera to document the sites.

Later, when I made long car trips all over the U.S. and eastern Canada, I took loads of slides with an even better camera that I had bought cheaply from a friend. These photos, however, were not usually of tourist-type sites (I could buy postcards for those), but of the archeological sites and geological oddities I so love: Hovenweep and Checkerboard Rock out West, Stone Fort and Forty Acre Rock in the Southeast, megalithic chambers and Balanced Rock in the Northeast, a drumlin field and a fossilized tree stump in a cliff in Nova Scotia, and dozens of other interesting but little-known places.

But when camera-phones came in, I once again gave up photography. My picture taking had been dwindling for years anyway (what’s the point in old age?), and so I returned to the idea of fully experiencing things without distraction and remembering them as well as I can.

5 Likes