Mistaken Handicaps

Take a look at my game, please. The score was not the result of a massive oversight, it was because my opponent was beaten in every way in every part of the board.

1 Like

I have played a few ranked games now. The most obvious result was that my rank was changed from 4K to 2K.

1 Like

Where do I look if I want to see my “deviation”.

1 Like

I have played some handicap games, and my rank has jumped up to 1K. I wonder about a system that moves someone from 4K to 1K based on a handful of games.

Do you mind if I stop playing handicap games now?

My main purpose in playing here is to give lessons to weaker players. Weaker players are discouraged by “ranked” games against stronger opponents.

2 Likes

@Jim_Walsh FWIW, you can also play unranked handicap games. But you don’t need anybody’s permission, play what ever games you want :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you. Your deviation is down to 98.

I think handicap should now be correct.

Edit: after looking at your last games, I think the reason was the high deviation. Handicap seems to be correct now.

2 Likes

I don’t think this is true as a blanket statement. Certainly not true for me vs. stronger players—after all I do want to rank up, even if slowly :slight_smile: Also, I always encourage all weaker players to play ranked games — it’s the only way to make sure their HC is appropriate.

2 Likes

It is happening again. a 3k opponent got 9 stones against me. I am a 2k.

I would bet you set the handicap to 9

No perfect system anywhere but at least you may still appreciate how responsive is the OGS system. On other places you would be quickly stuck at a wrong level.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.