Next batch: april 2018-dec 2019

(april 2018)

(june 2018)

(nov 2018)

(april 2019)

(june 2019)

(july 2019)

(dec 2019)

I did “Give me liberty, or give me death” as a go addict joke a year before that meme and the U.S. Go Congress (You know you are a Go addict when … - #22 by Conrad_Melville)

1 Like

Jan 2020- Feb 2020

3 Likes

I have no particular meme to nominate, but I feel an honourable mention is in order for that white-bearded gentleman who sits at his computer with a mug of coffee. That guy sure gets around the meme thread, although it seems he’s never going to get a break.

2 Likes

I read somewhere that he is a full celebrity now not only in the OGS memes… so many activities to assume!

2 Likes

this?

5 Likes

always a pleasure to meet him again :rofl:

2 Likes

That’s him! That’s the dude!

If there’s an acting award for outstanding facial expression he’s your man.

Third edition:
2020 march-sept

4 Likes

Fourth edition
October 2020 - May 2021

And finally …

@mark5000: Thank you!

2 Likes

Last batch of memes

May-now

Browsing through all those memes did lead to some insights.

• in the beginning - May 2015 - only a few memes were posted and there even was a 5 month meme drought (from June 2015-Nov 2015).
  • up until Jan 2020 only about ca. 850 posts were published (average of 200+ per year).
  • from the beginning of the covid crisis - March 2020 - the number of meme posts exploded. In little more than one and half year 3000 posts were placed in this thread.
  • also the chit chat and pedantry exploded. Feb 2 2021 a new thread was launched: Go Memes Pedantry.
  • there is an enormous diversity in meme subjects, which are sometimes also linked with things happening in the real world (Trump) and OGS site (ranking adjustment).
  • I skipped a lot of great memes. Wasn’t my intention to present a complete and representative sample of all the memes. Just the one I liked. Sorry about that.
    If you feel that I missed some really important ones, you know what you can do: add them to this thread.
  • I would have loved to add some statistical data to this conclusion. But I don’t have the skills to do that, but maybe @Lys can do that.
7 Likes

I should first learn how to do queries on discord. :grin:

Maybe discord itself could provide some stats.

4 Likes

Discord? Maybe a typo with discourse?

2 Likes

Could be… I can’t remember which is which. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Discord is a chat server popular in gaming communities.

Discourse is the forum software that almost every site on the internet uses :sweat_smile:

2 Likes