Multilingual Go Book Project: Updates and new chapters

German chapter 3 is up and ready to download :slight_smile:

https://www.facebook.com/MultilingualGoBook/photos/a.401808443715340/845012116061635/

4 Likes

Keep up the good work~

4 Likes

Finally it is time for another COMPLETED translation of the project’s book. This time in the Spanish language, and it is great to see another step in our goal of making Go content more accessible to new players, in their native language.
A lot of us tend to forget that the majority of the planet’s inhabitants are not comfortable in reading (let alone studying) in foreign languages. So, every little thing that can get translated, even if it is just a Go book, brings us all closer to one another and we hope that you will find this new addition useful.

The completion of this undertaking took us a bit longer than expected, but it is now finally ready, mostly due to the great translating effort of my real life friend Thanasis-Ricardo, who I want to thank heartfully. :slight_smile:

Please, if you spot any mistake or typo, let us know so that we can improve the Spanish edition.
Just like with the previous completed version (French) , the uploads are in three formats (greyscale, CMYK and compressed greyscale) and are accompanied by a full re-upload of the latest corrections of the English version. There is also a small addition to the website’s frontpage text.

As always, you can download the chapters for free from the project’s webpage https://www.gobook.eu/ and you are welcome to contribute in any way you can, especially if you want to help with the translation of the book in your own language. Just send me a message and we can get it started.

Be well and stay safe through these trying times. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks to the amazing translation effort and attention to detail of Lucas Félix de Oliveira Santana, chapter 4 for Brazillian Portuguese is finally ready! 🙂

As always you can download the chapters for free from the project’s webpage https://www.gobook.eu/ or use the Brazilian-Portuguese version of the site https://porbr.gobook.eu/

I hope that you will find it useful and if you want to help with the translation of the book in your own language, you are always welcome to contribute in any way you can.

https://www.facebook.com/MultilingualGoBook/photos/a.401808443715340/897731914122988/

4 Likes

2021 was not a very good year so far, but slowly things are returning to normal.

We are back this time by adding chapter one for the mongolian language :slight_smile:

As always you can download the chapters for free from the project’s webpage https://www.gobook.eu/ and if you want to help with the translation of the book in your own language, you are always welcome to contribute in any way you can :slight_smile:

You can find the rest of the announcement here:

https://www.facebook.com/MultilingualGoBook/photos/a.401808443715340/1020127301883448/

3 Likes

As the new topic title says, Italian chapter 1 has been added :slight_smile: Copying the fb announcement link seems to create a mangled result, so I’ll copy it here:

It has been a while since the last addition, but thanks to the awesome effort and attention to detail of Simone Romano, chapter 1 for Italian has been finally added and we are off to the races for the second chapter!

I apologise for the wide timeframes between updates, but am a bit delayed on my schedule due to excessive workload. However, soon to come:
Catalan - Chapter 1 and 2 (ready and typeset, needs proof-reading)
Russian - Chapter 5 ( I am in the middle of typesetting it)

As always you can download the chapters for free from the project’s webpage https://www.gobook.eu/
I hope that you will find it useful and if you want to help with the translation of the book in your own language, you are always welcome to contribute in any way you can.

Be well!

italian

8 Likes

Due to heavy workload it took me a bit longer than usual to typeset it since the last announcement, but thanks to the amazing translating skills and contribution of Dmitriy Bovichev the fifth chapter has been completed in Russian and it has been appended to the downloadable files.

Only two chapters left to go now and that will be the fifth completed version of the book for the project along with English, Greek, French and Spanish. :slight_smile:

Three more languages are being actively worked upon, so hopefully we will have more to upload soonTM.

2 Likes

The FB preview is getting jumbled, so here are the news:

A big update today with three languages: Polish, Italian and Catalan. About the people that have worked on the translation, I honestly cannot thank them enough for what they do. Without them, this project would have grinded to a halt a long time ago. ! :slight_smile:

For Italian, with Simone Romano’s amazing speed and attention to detail we have another chapter up and now Chapter 2 has been uploaded for the Italian language.

For Catalan, this is a new entry. Most of the work had been done by Ferran Bassols a long time ago, but we never got to finalise the text so that we could upload it. Enter mr. Joan LLuis who reviewed, changed and added the text that was missing so that we can now have Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 for Catalan as well.

For Polish, this is also a new entry. Originally the Polish Go Group “Crazy Samurais of Go” made a huge contribution in the translations, but they started from all chapters at the same time and we never managed to finish any of them. Now, with the amazing help of Adam Białożyt who single-handedly filled the blanks and curated what was already there, we have Chapter 1 and Chapter 2, ready to be shared for the Polish Language.

This would have been a four language update (Mongolian), but I made a mistake with the files and I have to typeset chapter 2 from scratch.

Now, if you are still reading there are GREAT news. The first version that was ever started, Brazilian - Portuguese, will soon be completed.
Lucas Felix sent me the translation of the final two chapters and after they are typeset and quality checked, we will have another completed version of the book (the fifth one!) :slight_smile:

Here is the announcement, even with the jumbled preview.

3 Likes

We are back with another FULL translation of the project’s book. This time in Brazilian Portuguese, and with this a great milestone has been achieved in our goal of making Go content more accessible to new players, in their native language.

This particular version is very dear to me because @lucasfelix , who did such an amazing and careful work in translating all the pages, was the first person to ever send me a message and say that he would like to help, thus giving this project traction by providing the first translated chapter back in 2019.

So, it may have taken us a bit longer than other versions, but it can be argued that Lucas has made the most corrections, suggestions and additions to this books improvement both in the English and the translated version, so it was definitely time well spent and there are no words with which I can thank Lucas Felix enough for his work, his help and his support. :slight_smile:

What I can say with words, is that it makes us happy giving more and more people the ability to learn and enjoy Go. It may be a small thing in the grand scheme of things, but every little things matters and we hope that you will find this new addition useful.

Please, if you spot any mistake or typo, let us know so that we can improve the text.

Just like with the previous completed version (Spanish) , the uploads are in three formats (greyscale, CMYK and compressed greyscale) You can download the chapters for free from the project’s dedicated webpage for Brazilian Portuguese https://porbr.gobook.eu/ and you are welcome to contribute in any way you can, especially if you want to help with the translation of the book in your own language. Just send me a message and we can get it started.

Be well and have fun playing Go! :slight_smile:

Edit: I just remembered that I forgot to put the map here. With this new version, the project’s language coverage looks like this:

9 Likes

Chapter 3 in the Catalan language has been translated and uploaded thanks the great help of Joan LLuis.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=514144424043960&set=a.499216672203402

2 Likes

Another great translating effort by the amazing Joan LLuis brings us to the translation for Chapter 4 in Catalan. The new versions of the pdfs have been uploaded in the website. :slight_smile:

As always you can download the chapters for free from the project’s webpage https://www.gobook.eu/

Be well!

EXTRA:
We have a plan to complete this translation in full, within the coming two months. Fingers crossed that it will go well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Will it release Chinese, Korean, Japanese versions? I think it is worthy to do. As you may know, Go is commercial in these countries, Go book is not free of charge. And most of their books are bad. Nice books like this is rare.

1 Like

I’ll be honest, I have no idea. :slight_smile:
All the language versions, other than the two “originals” (Greek and English), are being provided by very kind volunteers that like the whole concept and want the book translated in their own language. Once they finish a chapter, then I take the text and typeset it and make the appropriate changes so that the text fits. This means that unless there are people that know a language and want to help, I do not have the funds to pay and arrange a translation directly.

Maybe now that I have learned about the Baduk Department in Korea I might pitch them the idea of translating the book as part of their students’ English courses, but we’ll have to wait and see if the department survives first.

Frankly I always assumed that those countries have so much material and history on Go that it would be blasphemy to even consider putting this book out on those markets (a book by a 3k would probably sound laughable in those places where there are bookstores full of books by high dan pros) but, as you said, it is free after all, so it might end up being a useful option for some people. So, if there is a chance for that, I’ll definitely look forward in typesetting it.

3 Likes

Catalan chapter 5 has been updated and uploaded in the website.
I am furiously typesetting chapter 6 and Joan LLuis is translating chapter 7.

This means that very soon this version will be completed as well, increasing the number of the fully translated versions to six different languages. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Catalan full version is here :slight_smile:
You can read the full announcement and the details in the project’s facebook group.

8 Likes

@JethOrensin, you know how much I appreciate your work and how much I respect you for this awesome ongoing project …

But, PLEASE, do NOT use Fecebook as the sole reference for any “ full announcement and the details”.

I also (still) use Facebook, but FACEBOOK IS EVIL, and we shouldn’t ever lure people there.

4 Likes

That is a good point, but it is the only social media that I take part in.

I guess I could copy-paste the announcement in OGS which allows for larger images to be uploaded (unlike lifein19x19) or allows images and text to co-exist (unlike reddit) and use this link as the one that is being shared to reduce the amount of facebook interactions. I’ll try this next time, thank you for the suggestion. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ll just do the copy/paste thing for you :wink:

From this FB post:

2 Likes

Don’t expect me to open a facebook account. Never.

2 Likes

I meant the sharing of the link in reddit for example of lifein19x19. Instead of the FB group I will have it link here :slight_smile:

I think that as it stands the group is open, which means that you do not need an account to read the announcement. Or so I think, I haven’t tested this in years to be honest.

1 Like