New anti-cheating rules in Russian online tournaments

Yesterday the final version was accepted. One more sentence was added in 4.1:

Right before the start of the recording it’s recommended to make two-way video communication (e.g. Skype) to demonstrate each other video equipment, its installation locations and other features of the gaming room.

1 Like

I think I am too frightened to ask…

2 Likes

Not bad, but its pretty extreme i’d say, like almost none personal space, especially for those who had fear of being on camera or even person with scopophobia for instance, and it would be psychological disadvantage for them

but it might be don’t bother russian players :thinking:

2 Likes

There are very nice and small 360° cameras that could help having everything in sight. They are also quite cheap.
Here on the forum there’s a nice picture taken from the middle of the board.
They could easily capture you, your screen, your room and all of your cheating partners. :wink:

2 Likes

Excuse me, are we in the tournament part or the naked part of the conversation? I’m confused.

12 Likes

These measures seem so incredibly draconian, and may well still be ineffective against the most determined cheater. Perhaps their ultimate aim is to discourage ranked online tournaments altogether.

5 Likes

I think we’re talking about both :smile:

3 Likes

Realistically it is both… Lol.

Yebellz mentioned that these measures are not enough to thwart a determined cheater. It is true. With technology so pervasive, and so many options, a mere camera is not enough.

2 Likes

To see two possible answers, read the amazingly prescient novelettes by Murray Leinster, “The Disciplinary Circuit” (1946), and Fritz Leiber, “The Creature from the Cleveland Depths” (1962).

I agree - this is “anti-cheating theater”, and could easily be thwarted in numerous ways, some fairly easily and not even requiring fancy devices or implants. That being said, like most security, it’s not about making it impossible to cheat. Rather the goal is to be enough of a deterrent that someone casually tempted to cheat will not do so.

I don’t think it’s overly draconian for major tournaments, and isn’t that different than what a lot of online classes are doing. There are sites that run your webcam while you take on online test, record your desktop, and lock down your computer so that it alerts a proctor if you change windows from the test site. Is it perfect? No, I can think of multiple ways to cheat, but most people who would be tempted to casually cheat will refrain from doing so.

3 Likes

I like to think that most professionals would not cheat… But alas, human nature is what it is…

Probably in the future the AI implants will be a way of living. And new rules will apply overall. Qui vivra verra.

So in the case of someone suspect his opponent is cheating, he will have to give the proof via rewatching the video recording… And then he will have to record himself checking the video to prove he’s not cheating by modifying it? That’s going a long way…

3 Likes

Maybe they need to have a prize pool for anyone who can show that a given video has been edited. I think the speedrunning community has experience with that.

2 Likes

Videos aren’t public. Only referees can request and watch through them.

Here it is: