New innovative free way to get good at go - mirroring

I’ve tried mirroring as white a lot, especially on even board sizes like 10x10, against both weaker and stronger players (I’m ~8k), and I find it extremely interesting and challenging every time, not like an “exploit” in any way. Of course in go there are many ways to waste your opponent’s time and spoil the game if you aren’t trying hard; that’s not something inherent in or unique to mirroring.

One of the most interesting things is how the constant tenuki leads to positions that I would not otherwise get into, with multiple “hot” areas of activity (atari, weak groups, etc.) all over the board. I have to watch for the moment my opponent gets spooked by all the fights and plays something overly defensive or a weak move as part of a plan to force me to break it, then I break the mirror on my own terms and attempt to take advantage of the mistake. It doesn’t usually work out as well as I want!

Overall I don’t think I’ve ever encountered a negative reaction, though who knows what my opponents are thinking privately.

6 Likes

It’s fun when there are few mirror opponents. It’s boring when there are none or when there are many.

2 Likes

I would say the same for some other openings. Abuse can get boring. Absence frustrating.

1 Like

It is quite reasonable for the organisers to start clocks in typical weekend tournaments with tight schedules, such as 3 games in 1 day with 1 hour + 15 moves / 5 minutes. People who hold everyone else up are a nuisance. It may not be your fault of you are late, but it is your responsibility!

1 Like

Mirror go happening live right now in the Grenoble TIGGRE tournament, with commentary by Hwang Inseong 8d:

Game review on twitch: TIGGRE - Ellie Cup 2023 - Inseong Hwang 8d commentary

5 Likes

But only 20 moves.

Black broke the mirror by choosing a joseki with a ladder. Inseong explains it all in the commentary, and mentions that White used about 15 minutes on one move to decide how to continue after that.

5 Likes

Why are you responding to my reply with an edit of your previous post? That is dirty, accusing me of bad-faith discussion and doing it somewhere I am likely to not see.

You are the one discussing in bad faith despite being accused of it by someone else recently. Taking things out of context and in this case, just misrepresenting what I said and responding to your own delusion. The bad faith is also evident in the fact that last time we conversed here, it was not friendly; so, you taking your time to reply to me out of nowhere in this thread and doing it in the way you did, by twisting the things I said… that’s a clear sign of bad faith before even entering the convo.

If you didn’t want to crowd the thread more but wanted to tell just me something, you can pm. Thanks.

I did not twist anything you said. I edited my post to add “let’s end this conversation”, rather than making a new post because this conversation is going nowhere and I have no desire to fuel it. Your reply to me was aggressive and I don’t want to continue this conversation. There’s nothing “dirty” about not being interested in such an unpleasant conversation.

I wrote my first post because I didn’t understand why you hated mirror go so much. Sorry if I said anything upsetting. And then you replied very aggressively and now I just wish this conversation would end. Have a good day.

You have no desire to fuel it but you decided to make your edit “you discuss in bad faith” instead of “let’s end it here”. I explained why I hate mirror go being played in certain situations, I explained why I responded agressively, I explained how you twisted what I said. I am at a loss for words with you so I am completely fine with ending the convo. Please don’t edit any other older posts to respond to me; it feels like a sneaky attempt to get the last attack in.

Thanks, you have a good day too.

In any case, moving on from the previous posts, I find it interesting to see a top European player playing mirror go in one sense, and then other top European players having ways to counter it.

The fact that that mirror broke so early in a fairly natural way is interesting :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I just trolled Mirror Go user

moves in the end are strange

2 Likes

Maybe a surprising opening :slight_smile:

So 신 copied 신’s moves… This didn’t last very long though.

On the topic of Jonas Welticke playing mirror go, he has said he does it because he’s relatively weak at the opening, so it lets him get to the middlegame, where he’s stronger, without falling behind much.

3 Likes

Fujisawa Kuranosuke 9p was also a top professionnel known for playing mirror Go. ^^

If someone plays mirror go against me, I will finish the game, but I will block the player afterward.

2 Likes

rude

2 Likes

How so? Why should I be forced to play a game I don’t enjoy?

Mirror is legal strategy that has power.
If you are not enjoy, play tengen fast. But you will be slightly behind in points.
If everyone will act like you, mirror users will start to have real problems in getting a game.(even if they stop mirroring later)