New player OGS user experience

On the one hand if people played normally possibly, because the high deviation (I don’t think the volatility changes too much in practice) is supposed to mean that settled players ranks shouldn’t be affected too much, while the new player corrects fast right? That said, people don’t always play normally, sometimes they do weird things like pass in the middle of the game or fiddle with scoring, possibly they’re a new player or they’re a troll. It likely causes a mess, like when an experienced player resigns against a beginner to just start a new game. I think all those things need to be manually annulled but it’s not clear to me it won’t have knock on effects.

The big downside as you mention is it’s easy for me to keep creating 25kyu accounts to thrash beginners which won’t make their life any better.

I obviously don’t have the info on that, so it’d be better to hear from a mod. However, in the last few days there’s even 5d accounts causing trouble, messing with the scoring phase and just passing for 100s of moves, so I wouldn’t rule out that there’s “enough” trolls with nothing better to do.

I think this was the proposal linked to on the github issue.

1 Like