Newbie: Learning Go?

Thank you, @Conrad_Melville! What you say is right, but I do not even know enough to benefit from that. I first need the why or the how.

@Lys, I am not good enough for your level of understanding. I need toddler steps. Thank you for replying!

@AdamR, Thank you. How do I play games on this website? I have never played any Go games, no opportunities.

@sanderl, thanks for the reply. There is plenty of AI simulators that declare a move wrong or right. I need to find some way to know why is it “wrong.”

Personally, at Very-beginners level, you shouldn’t have put so much thought on A.I moves recommendations especially the strong AI, I mean different A.I most likely will give you different suggestions, so It’s hard to define whether It’s right or wrong, even “wrong” moves could be pain in the butt, if you don’t know how to counter them, so, Personally It’s better to say that those recommendations are telling you which move is better to play

For now, i think you should’ve play against another human get used to “flow” of the games, try solves some tsumego and then learn slowly about joseki, as you progressed you will understands why A.I suggesting those moves…

Not forget to mentions another users already gave you some great advices…

1 Like

Your luck to understand is that there are plenty of players here with plenty of different levels. Forget AIs. Play humans. Most players would like to help you but don’t get overwhelmed by advices and teaching.

Better after each game, ask your opponent for an advice or too. Even better if you can ask them something precise, coming from your ideas.

If you don’t find the advice useful, don’t bother, just go play again.

You just need practice and your own experience. If fun is running away, have a break and come back later.

1 Like

Puzzles tend to have this format. Puzzles are like a multiple choice test in school. In the test result you usually won’t get much explanation about why your answer was right or wrong.

But when a human school teacher or a school book teaches a subject strictly in this format, I would say they are not very good. Luckily, good teachers and good books tend to do much better than this. They explain a lot.

Apps cannot give explanations with their feedback. AI are simply not good enough for that yet and it may take many years before they are (they would need to acquire a good understanding of their human audience).

So I would recommend to play games with humans, to review your games with humans and to play teaching games with humans.
And depending on your level, reading books and watching videos made by human teachers may be helpful too.

Many humans are quite good at explaining things much, much better than simply correct/incorrect feedback.

2 Likes

If you don’t feel ready to try a game against humans, you could try the “go free” app for Android. It’s still a AI, it won’t give you instructions or reasons or thoughts, but you can take back your move as many times as you like, so perhaps you could start understanding this game by trials and errors.

I found that very useful when I was a very beginner

2 Likes

I am afraid we might have misunderstood each other. The website I have linked is a tutorial, not a game playing server. There are many puzzles there with explanations though so that you can learn how to play. You just read the description and then click the mouse on where you would like to play. Then you will see a comment on such a move.

1 Like

This does not exist, and may never reliably exist. Learning to use tools to find out the ‘why’ for yourself, or having humans explain you the ‘why’ is the best you can do.

2 Likes

If you read the first 3 articles in the 19x19 series, they’ll do a pretty good job of explaining the “why” - and the 4th article tries to explain some of the “how”.

I say, try digesting those, and then play 3 games against other human beginners in the 20-25kyu range. Hopefully, a bit of theory+practice will help the light bulb turn on, and you’ll start feeling the flow of the game.