Notice: We will be removing the ability to manually change your rank

So if nobody knows you and you can’t speak english, the existing Dans can take a look at your provisional games and make a judgement.

Yep exactly

How about making it possible to set your rank initially anywhere in the DDK range, but actually explain the ranking levels on the registration page, and allow players to “import” their current rank from any of the other major go sites simply by asking for verification?

The mod would then just quickly send a PM on that other site “This is a mod for online-go.com, I’d like verification that you are indeed “player x” on OGS, and would like to use this site’s rank as a basis for your OGS account.”

Of course that would probably mean a bit more work for the mods, checking that the other site’s playlog looks kosher and having accounts on all the other sites, but it wouldn’t exactly be a difficult or exhausting job, and it would encourage more of the older players to give OGS a chance.

I fear you may underestimate how many new accounts we get per day :slight_smile:

I feel Tygem’s max starting rank is instructive here. Tygem currently has a starting rank cap of 3d, which is down from 5d just weeks ago. This was because too many players were choosing 5d and it made 5d kind of a joke. Here, I would also support a starting cap of 3d. As already mentioned, the probelm of rank deflation among high dans is somewhat counteracted by the problem of fake high dans getting beat down. Thus, the question of starting cap becomes more about finding that balance point. 3d (+/- 2d) seems right if you ask me.

1 Like

Hm, a valid point, although our provisional system will work against that a bit (since it wont be injecting any points into the system until 5 games have been played by the faker)

i think this , couple with the posibility of manual upping via other high dan recommendation will work splendidly in most cases

i dont belive in tsumegos. if someone really wants to fake their rank, sorting a tsumego will not be that much of a researchproblem

1 Like

Well the effect of provisional games is a little exaggerated, I think. It’s not too hard to clear provisional status and end up with a rank much higher than you deserve. For example, a 1k selects 6d and wins 4 or 5 games against 2-4k players. The result is a bona fide 6d, who is actually still 1k in strength. But when 1-3d players start showing them who’s boss, you may end up with the rating points you’re looking for to keep the system stable. Just my 2c.

2 Likes

Yeah, I might.be, But of those overwhelming amounts, how many are SDK or Dan level?

Without being able to change your rank (a very good thing I think), arent we making rules to exceptions by introducing a cap. If we have an active community, it should be easy to pick out those that have a wrong rank. and give them like a 1000 provisional games. How many give a wrong rank?

OH well that last question came out wrong… just wondering how big a problem it really is?

OK, here’s a thought. How about a group/ladder/room/?? set up especially for the purpose of getting a good initial rank? If a new user uses the ranking room, he is provisional for 5 games. If he skips the ranking room, he is provisional for N games (a big number).

Solving life-and-death problems would be perfect.

Leave the ability to change but restrict it to the most difficult puzzle they solved. Maybe they have to solve 10 in a row at a particular level to get the right to choose that rank. 10 in a row for life-and-death is not outside of the ordinary. Five in a row would be charitable.

If they solve all the problems, the ranks change locks so they cannot sandbag. And, of course, is provisional to create the extra layer of integrity without requiring human resources.

Make changing ranks a serious issue and people will treat it seriously.

They can always grind to the top. Nobody is stopping that.

It will require a well developed life-and-death problems section. People will have to be tasked with double checking that user submitted problems are valid in their solution, categories and rank.

I’ve discussed this here: Suggestion: “Interactive” Go

I think a social solution is best. As long as the regular members promote a culture where accurate ratings/ranks are good things will work out. If new some members set very inaccurate ranks, the regular members can just point this out to an admin for correction. Those that go unreported could easily be found by running some scripts looking for long winning or losing streaks of new players.

The problems with ratings found on Tygem are because the members and/or admins do not bother policing things.

1 Like

Seems to me thats a bit to much to ask of a community and moderators. it should not be a paranoid survalience-culture where ppl get reported left and right and someone has to verify the claims. it should be as automatic as possible. Thing of how much abuse this system would have to leave with… everytome from just pure sabotage and trolling to just pissed of players who complain about losing to someone they thing is to strong adn that just had a really good game, or they a bad one…

1 Like

I think a social solution is best

This.

Many of our stronger players, (particularly @Pempu ) have already reported fake dans on more than one occasion. I don’t think we need to jump through additional hoops on sign-up, we just need to recognise and support the great job that our members already do.

1 Like

Of course not. But if you want to change your rank, you should have to jump through a couple of hoops. Namely, life-and-death and provision.

You think you are 5K? No problem. Solve these puzzles and you’ll get provisional status.

“see something, say something” Homeland Security garbage is the last thing I ever want to see on a go server.

Until we have an automatic system, the manual rank option needs to be shelved and we will need to depend on honorable members of the community to do a bit of policing.

But the day of policing should have a sunset.

I’d rather see members helping out on thorny game situations like triple ko and life-and-death or dealing with clowns at the stone removal phase than screaming about who deserves what rank.

“You [won/loss] seven games in a row. You are full of terrorism and will be dealt with by the proper authorities.”

Is that really what you want?

Well for me having to jump through hoops (solving tsumego) feels really unwelcome. "So you are a 8k, proof it! Solve these"
What i like about OGS is the open and friendly nature of the site. This proposal would diminish that tremendously. I would rather start with the trust that people give their actual rank,I dont think its worth losing the open and friendly nature of OGS to a small group of peoplel who misbehave.

Having to solve problems to proof something feels to me like policing and a very strict server. where crossing lines like forgetting to greed someone at the beginning of a game is heavily punished.

Therefore i would really like to know how often this occors per number of new people… once a week or 10 times a day

3 Likes

What if your rank remains provisional until you win a game against someone who is one rank weaker than your purported rank? If you say you are 6 dan, your rank will be provisional until you win a game against a 5+ dan player.

1 Like

Well, if it is just one game one could make that up with another fake 5 Dan I fear :confounded: