Pairing methods in double elimination tournaments

Hopefully this is what you are looking for:

This works the same in every tournament on this site, and if someone times out or resigns from the tournament, they do not play any future rounds, no matter the tournament style.

I have never seen a double elim tournament work that way, so I would like an example of that. More explanation on how I think it is supposed to work below.

Actually, in most double elimination tournaments(at least the ones I have seen), the loser’s bracket essentially starts round two. The person you are talking about in the winners bracket with no game, they got a bye so they don’t have to play this round. Unless of a bug(more commonly seen in the live 9x9 ASTs), she will not play a game until round 3, and she will play someone from the winners bracket. The way double elim tournaments work is that when you lose, you move down to the losers bracket if you are in the winners bracket, and you are eliminated if you lose from the losers bracket. The winner of the losers bracket should be the only one from the losers bracket going to the winners bracket(if this is false, it is a bug). There are two ways a double elim tournament can work(that I know of). The only difference I know in them is the finals.

I don’t know strength pairings(or any pairing methods) that well unfortunately, so I can’t explain why that is, except one person was bound to get a bye, and in this case, the second weakest winner is that person.

Hopefully some of that information that I gave helps somewhat. If it doesn’t, I am sure someone else could explain it better, especially involving the pairings(although I am personally more puzzled on how the “slide” pairings work. They make no sense).

1 Like