Parallel Fractional Go Game 4

You want to see that legendary 6-coloured stone? :wink:

5 Likes

Wow, many collisions already ^^ We have a 4-coloured stone and two 3-coloured stones

3 Likes

Sounds fun. Somehow using our stones together more coherently could help, but should we choose efficiency qnd playing in more areas of the board (but more dispersed), or something more local to where we have stones ?

I was wondering along similar lines if thatā€™s the case ^^

3 Likes

Round 2

Game link

@A_Normal_Name white_cyan continues in the upper-right corner, as both @benjito black_green and @yebellz black_cyan shift their focus to this area, resulting in a collision.

@Jon_Ko white_green supports their stone and collides with @fuseki3

, creating a four-coloured stone in the lower-right.

Magenta continues to thrive in the lower-left, as @Gooplet white_magenta plays a pincer, and @Feijoa black_magenta attaches to their earlier stone.

Meanwhile @martin3141

continues to lay claim to the upper-left.

I did not expect this many collisions so early
:grin:

6 Likes

The brown/white stones look very tranquil in the upper left in the only uncontested corner so far, itā€™s very efficient looking ^^

5 Likes

Is this really a brown? Perhaps more of a maroon or burnt umber to meā€¦

2 Likes

Arenā€™t those both shades of brown?

2 Likes

Just a question, you can capture stones based on their primary color and their secondary color right? Or is it just only primary color.

3 Likes

Whether colors are primary or secondary only matters during scoring.

Liberties are calculated for each color separately.

If a chain of one color has no liberties, all stones of that chain are captured (unless new and old stones or chains make a difference). The whole stones are captured with all their other colors.

(Just like when recapturing a ko or a snapback in normal go, chains with newly placed stones that do not have liberties can capture chains without newly placed stones to gain liberties.)

3 Likes

Does this mean that we donā€™t calculate liberties for White and Black at all, and we only calculate liberties for the secondary colors?

Sorry for the redundant question, I just find ā€œcolorsā€ to be a bit of an ambiguous word in this context

3 Likes

Iā€™m happy to communicate especially about general strategy but of course I might want to be secretive about some of the details or leave it as a bit of a puzzle depending on the situation.

In the previous games Iā€™ve had trouble making living shapes, and since we have four opponents in this game, our chains now each need five eyes to be truly alive, making it even more difficult. For a normal Go game with two-eyed groups we have Five Groups Might Live But The Sixth Will Die. So maybe in this game each color should expect at most two five-eyed groups?

(In game 1 I think pink had three groups.)

Anyway, to build my pink group more efficiently, Iā€™m teaming up with @Gooplet in the lower-left. That also has the advantage of discouraging Team White from attacking the pink chains, but for it to be effective Iā€™ll have to connect up to my teammates while blocking connections to nearby white stones too.

4 Likes

Oh, sorry, no. I meant it only makes a difference during scoring whether a color is primary or secondary. Until then all colors are treated equally. During scoring secondary colors are ignored.

5 Likes

Yes, both (primary-color)-chains and (secondary-color)-chains can be captured.

As @Jon_Ko explained, all chains need liberties to survive. Here this inclues black-chains, white-chains, green-chains, cyan-chains, magenta-chains and brown-chains.

The distinction between primary / secondary colours (or team-colour / non-team-colour) is just important to define the goal, which is for your team to have more points than the other team, using area scoring.

Thanks for asking, and please donā€™t hesitate to ask!

You can also play around with the Demo board if you want to get a better feeling for how the capture rule works. There you can play through a game of this variant while controlling all player seats. Everything happens locally, so moves are not persistent, and other people canā€™t see your demo board.

5 Likes

Reminder @benjito @Feijoa @yebellz @fuseki3 @Jon_Ko @Gooplet @A_Normal_Name

Some of you have not submitted a move yet.

4 Likes

I believe I have submitted a move, and had one in for at least a day or two

6 Likes

I had as well

3 Likes

Sorry folks, I was holding things up!

Funny story

I didnā€™t realize it was me, so I wrote a script to parse out the relevant info. It relies on a deprecated API call, so donā€™t expect it to work for long, but at least it can be useful to us until we add some ā€œpending playerā€ widget to the UI:

import urllib.request
import json

# Note: this endpoint is deprecated
GAME_URL = "https://www.govariants.com/api/games/670952d842e74078c7a967fe"
PLAYERS = [
    "benjito", "yebellz", "Feijoa", "fuseki3",
    "JonKo", "HornJ", "Gooplet", "martin3141",
]

game_request = None
web_url = urllib.request.urlopen(GAME_URL)
data = web_url.read()
encoding = web_url.info().get_content_charset('utf-8')
game_response = json.loads(data.decode(encoding))

left_to_play = set(range(8))
# Yes, we shouldn't expose this information for a simultaneous game
# that's why the API is deprecated.  Honor system, folks!
for move in game_response["moves"]:
    player = int(next(iter(move)))
    left_to_play.discard(player)
    if not left_to_play:
        left_to_play = set(range(8))

print("Waiting on:")
for seat in left_to_play:
    print(PLAYERS[seat])

Example output:

Waiting on:
benjito
6 Likes

ohhhh another 4 coloured stone!

3 Likes

Round 3

Game link

In the lower right @benjito black_green @Jon_Ko white_green and @fuseki3 brown2_v2 collide and create a four coloured stone!

In the lower left the dance of Magenta continues with @Gooplet white_magenta playing Hane and @Feijoa black_magenta jumping towards the left side.

In the upper left @martin3141 brown1 continues diagonally, as @yebellz black_cyan suddenly invades at 3-3.

Meanwhile in the upper right @A_Normal_Name white_cyan blocks the corner tightly.

4 Likes

Talk about inefficient! Iā€™ll play in a different corner next time haha

3 Likes