Pausing System is easily abused

Maybe that’s just to be sure you won’t forget it.

2 Likes

… While driving.

1 Like

LOL. “Camping toilets”? Must be for “car camping,” as no backpacker would carry such weight.

2 Likes

Not to start a fight but “car camping” definitely still counts as camping :nail_care:

4 Likes

Yes, as an oldster whose backpacking days are undoubtedly over, I won’t turn up my nose at car camping.

3 Likes

I agree with this idea, maybe for a different reason. But nevermind the reason, I do think there are a few features that would be nice to have as TD. Being able to pause tournament games would be great, in some sense; there are a bunch of legitimate uses I could think for this.

One other feature that I’d like to see is being able to post visible chat (to the players) in tournament games.

Still I think these are low priority, but not an unreasonable ask by any means.

4 Likes

Cramping toilets.

1 Like

5 Likes

May I suggest using a different time-setting?

It looks like you’re using Japanese byo-yomi with a small number of periods, which means that every move in the game has to be played in the same short amount of time.

Since you occasionally need longer for a move, because you’re checking on your cooking, I suggest using a more flexible time-setting:

• Japanese byo-yomi, but with many periods, for instance 40 periods of 20s. This way you can afford losing a few periods while cooking.
  • Fischer increment, with 20s increment. You need to play most moves in less than 20s, but the time accumulates and you can afford to take longer on some moves.
  • Canadian byo-yomi, for instance 10 minutes / 30 moves. This averages to 20s / move, but allows you to take much longer on moves where you go cooking.
6 Likes

Yes, but real-life means actually getting face-to-face with your opponent, and all the civilities that this imply. This is a much stronger commitment from both players, and comes with much heavier guarantees of going smoothly, than an online game against a stranger that you’ll never meet and that was started by one click of a button.

This is why most non-tournament games in real life are played without a clock, and most online games are played with a clock.

Note that if you and your opponent are both in 20s Japanese byo-yomi, and you pause the game to go cooking, your opponent has to remain in front of their computer for an unknown amount of time, to be ready for you to come back at any time and play your move, prompting them to answer in less than 20s. This is not a particularly comfortable position, and not really comparable to taking a bathroom break in real life.

12 Likes

Just don’t use byo-yomi. Who needs the aggravation? Use Fischer clock with upper limit 2 minutes or whatever feels right to you. If all moves required the same amount of thinking, then timing systems would make sense. But they don’t. Just my opinion.

2 Likes

I wonder whether a sealed move feature could be part of a solution: your clock runs till you seal it, both clocks are paused for an agreed amount of time, and then your opponent sees your move and their clock resumes. I think this would considerably reduce the risk of abuse. While one could have a ‘request pause’ button, I think it would be better to agree at the start of the game that there is to be a pause, and how long, perhaps even when.

While I sympathise with the lavatory break, door and telephone problems, cooking seems odd to me: why not just stop playing go for however long it takes? Also I feel that I would not need the lavatory in a blitz game, while in a game with at least 00:30:00 main time I go if needed shortly before byo-yomi starts. In extremis, I can probably go during Canadian byo-yomi, at the start of a 15 moves in 5’ session.

2 Likes

I won’t put away the pause system we have already but i do agree that a sealed move system like in those long live tournaments IRL, would be an awesome feature to add.
You can still organize it manually in any case with the agreement of your opponent and have a long live rated game going on!

4 Likes

Better give the player who dont want to agree the win but not let the other user losse rating

I use Tetra pack

1 Like

Even native English speakers do not necessarily understand the meaning of internet abbreviations like this. It is most discourteous, in my opinion, to simply expect your opponent to understand what amounts to slang usage.

That’s quite apart from the fact that, as others have pointed out, no one is required to accept a request for a pause.

4 Likes