Playing correspondence at live speed

I wouldn’t recommend start to play correspondence to anyone.
Imagine, you already have 1000 ongoing games. But you started to realize that correspondence is horrible thing only after that. What to do? Continue to suffer? Or be rude and just stop playing correspondence and finally have time for something more fun? It would be horrible (choice-situation): to make others suffer or to suffer yourself.

Well. roughly 100% of correspondence players manage to stay below 1000 ongoing games.

1 Like

100 games can last years too. And you need to check all these years if its your move. Horrible. So if you like correspondence, there always would be opponents who just quit.

It’s perfectly easy not to be rude: one simply resigns the games.

when someone resigns game where they are ahead, its still rude.

The first time you try correspondence, you can start less than 5 games. After a few weeks you know if you like playing correspondence or not. If you don’t, then finishing those 5 games won’t be too much of a burden.

2 Likes

Resigning is always better than deliberately timing out.

Thousands of correspondence players wouldn’t agree. Count me in! :smile:

Well, that’s quite an overshooting! :smile:
Imagine you’ve bought 1000 hamburgers before realising you don’t like them!

4 Likes

Resigning or timing out too early into a game might get it annulled too. Happend a few times with me and my opponent timed out very early into the match.

Also what about opponents who accept a corr challenge, its my turn to start. But my opponent cancels within a minute. Getting the game annulled, how do i deal with stuff like that?.

You make another challenge.
Sadly, some challenges will be wasted anyway.
If you don’t want that to happen, you’d better find an opponent first and negotiate your settings.
There are groups and forum threads to do that.

Game creators are allowed to cancel a game without prejudice. This is because they have no opportunity to vet an opponent beforehand (the opponent may be too strong or too weak, or have too many timeouts, etc.). In comparison, people who accept a challenge in a game you created are expected to play; if they cancel, you may report them. The mods will investigate to see whether the player habitually cancels. This is because some players cancel as a means of trolling, and others cancel as a form of personal harassment. The important thing is whether there is a pattern of abuse.

1 Like

There is not much you can do, IMO. But I would change OGS such that when someone signs up for their first blitz or correspondence game, they would get a paragraph of text giving an explanation of just how it differs from regular Go. There is always a first time for everybody, and a word of instruction can be very useful.

5 Likes