Plea: “Game Invitation” instead of “Game Challenge” >>> POLL

I do care about kindness, and I often nitpick nuanced language, being frustrated when someone close to me doesn’t come across as friendly, simply due to language habits rather than intent. (“They’re not judgemental, they just have unfortunate communication habits!”) But then this is an intro to a “but” - since I’m trying to figure out where one draws lines like these:

Or might it even be meaningful, in helping reclaim the word and help people reassociate challenges with the kind and friendly rivalry one has in playing games with very kind friends and family? I think I’ll discuss this with my therapist, since I’m curious at which point we’re making things worse by creating associations that help no-one.

(Grey-beige vs black-white: i.e. is Go racist? For that matter, is the “black dog” WHO-sponsored video about depression also “bad” language? I’ve seen someone raise this in a mental health workshop. I think they were making a big mistake.)

On my mind is indeed also the cost of making changes like these. (Working on internationalization means I’ve maybe got more exposure to such costs?) I do feel @AdamR states a strong case.

2 Likes

Where do you see “game challenge” on site?
I see just “challenge”
chal

“Game Invitation” looks good, but without word “game” it will lead to confusion.

Well I think the word challenge or the word invite would look odd if it didn’t have the go stone/board symbol beside it which gives it extra context but uses up less space than the word game.

I just followed the title of this topic.

For these buttons, I had a similar concern, and it was proposed above that Play could fit nicely there.

2 Likes

then question is addressed to @trohde

Symbol is not enough. Kanji is normal in Japanese but even they don’t replace it with pictures. New users will eventually understand it, but they will think “Is it English? :thinking:”. Word “play” looks good alone, but “invite” alone has too broad sense. Word “game” exists in title of this topic because “Invitation instead of Challenge” would look strange.
On custom game creation menu there is no pictures, its clear what “Create invitation” would mean, but it would look weird, there is no sense to reduce size of button in this menu.

Ah well, then just make it “invite to play”?

2 Likes

Good UI design is not replacing one word with three. If it’s not “play” or some better word, I’ll have to change my vote.

Pick a stone in your bowl and put it on a goboard

Yeah maybe the word play beside the already existing symbol that’s beside the word challenge would work fine

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.