Proposal for a Simple Ruleset

I think by very late endgame, and the end whereby the ai wants to pass (no dame to fill etc) I imagine one could probably come up with a rule like “round to the nearest half odd integer” if using komi x+0.5 with x and integer.

Like W+0.1 and similarly small amounts might round to W+0.5 and B+1.2 would round to B+1.5 etc.

I think the numbers like W+0.1 are simply due to the fact that the ai is trying to fit a function, by the end of the game it’s really simply a scoring function that takes in a board position and counts the points, except that isn’t what the Ai was trained to do. Instead it needs to predict with some certainty the outcome, from most of the time unfinished positions. So the uncertainty and lack of perfect approximation leads to numbers (score estimates) which can’t be real on the board + komi scores.

In fact, humans also do this with unfinished positions in endgame, assigning fractional points to the size of moves (not just half integers, but 1/4, 1/8 etc) but more bizarrely infinitesimals which again need to be rounded in some way to figure out which player wins and by how much.

Anyway, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to suggest a simplified mode, or a new rule set which auto scores. I mean we more or less have that with bot games right? I guess one needs to pick a rule set to base it off like New Zealand, Chinese, Japanese etc (area vs territory). One maybe could use a modified scoring algorithm based on a bot like Katago, such as what Vsotvep was suggesting

It is an interesting idea to apply autoscoring to things like ladders and tournaments (the both lose in particular).

Whether people would be happy with both lose scenarios I’m not so sure. So whether it would be popular outside of games where it was forced (suggested ladder etc) I also don’t know.

2 Likes