Question for experienced players: Is this a thing? (Sideseki?)

I suppose dumpling shapes would work great with sobaseki…

4 Likes

Reducing territorial framework (the book) or attack and defense (same) have some side sequences categorized and it seems that side joseki is s kind of concepts in the japanese go litterature.

Now i m curious if there is a word in japanese already used for that.

1 Like

I don’t think joseki is used exclusively for corner sequences it’s just they’re the most studied and typically profitable places to play.

I think in English usage we tend to mean corner sequences when we use it, but I feel like I’ve heard people use the term joseki on other parts of the board.

Maybe some else can clarify if that’s actually the case in Japanese usage.

2 Likes

I have a side, I have jouseki
Uh! Side-jouseki!

I’m pretty sure that’s how Japanese works.

Here’s an example: 「辺の定石 1」 問題一覧 - 戦いの定石

You can also buy a pre-AI book on side joseki: https://www.amazon.co.jp/辺の定石徹底研究-上級を目指す-小林-覚/dp/4309268579

A large amount of changes are expected, and the locking stone is cut and squeezed into a combat useful change. It features the defense of the Gogo go go (also known as the constant stone of all sides) and the defense of the smaller scissors to stylized sides, and the defense of Uchikimi, which is the base stone.

We aren’t talking about side joseki though, it’s fuseki with stones on sides so sideseki it is.

5 Likes

I love how this thread is mostly about linguistics

10 Likes

Yeah but the Sanrensei or Chinese opening aren’t something-seki, I’m not sure one even needs a separate word to fuseki for “I’m playing the sides first” or that it should be ()-seki.

It might as well be called Jeth’s magic star/diamond/square :slight_smile:

I was just thinking about joseki might also be used here is all.

3 Likes

Here is OGS katago’s evaluation of the magic diamond opening by black: about 7 pts advantage for white.

In this simulation I started as black from the bottom and then played the other hoshis counterclockwise. As white I played the best choice suggested by the AI.
Also AI chose to move counterclockwise starting from bottom left.

8 Likes

I assume B+6.9 in the picture must be Italian for biancho? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yep!
I got confused as well sometimes :grin:
But the wise OGS GUI doesn’t rely just on letters: the bar is white for a reason!

7 Likes

Yep. Just fooling around.

all those strange openings can’t give disadvantage bigger than in game against 2 stones handicap
It means that its possible to reach 7 dan instead of 9 dan with it. So they are anyway good enough if you are not trying to become pro.
So I recommend everyone to stop caring about how normal your opening looks like and to start playing what you wish.

9 Likes

And really, W+7 is just one handicap stone - i. e. playing a normal game without komi, right? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Considering AI strength, could we say that a AI point is bigger as a human point? (Like more difficult to get it back)

you are going to steal those points from humans, not from AI

1 Like

I suspect “W+7” means “White is already ahead, therefore if the AI is White, White will play very carefully in this game, therefore White will only win by 7 points in the end.”

I would not take a score estimation at face value after only 8 moves.

Can you add a link to that game? I can run the level IV analysis.

1 Like

That seems pretty fair and sounds playable, to be honest. God knows I’ve lost more points in less moves while playing the game :wink:

1 Like

in human games there are regularly bigger than 10 points waves

in even game if white passes, then its only around 11 points behind
imageimage

if white plays strange opening, its less than 7 points behind

so if you play better than opponent, beginning does not really matter

5 Likes

Komi is worth half a stone. If komi was worth one full stone, that would just shift the initial advantage from black to white:

• In a no-komi game white has the disadvantage of being only allowed to play, once black already has one stone on the board.
  • In a full-stone-komi game (about 14 points) black has the disadvantage of being only allowed to play, once white has already one stone worth of points.
  • In a half-a-stone-komi game (about 7 points) the game is balanced in the beginning, because black is behind half a stone (B-7), but allowed to play next. Once black played, black is ahead half a stone (B+7, because -7 + 14 = +7), but white is allowed to play next.

If that explanation is not clear enough, there’s also this one:

Relation with the value of first move

Consider a game where black passes as first move. So white plays first move, and the game starts just as if white were black, with the difference that white still has the komi advantage. This can be interpreted as if white played a game with reversed komi; the advantage he has is 2*komi (the komi he has + the komi that black does not have)

We can assume that by passing, black lost an amount of points equal to the value of the first move, which is about 14 points according to professionals.[7]

It is then normal that the value of komi be equal to half the value of a move in the opening.

Source: Komi at Sensei's Library

3 Likes

Well, it isn’t a territory estimation. It’s a probability of winning translated into points.
So it’s just an understandable measure of the “gift” black gives to white.
I agree that 7 pts isn’t a big deal. I am able to lose more points just by doing a mistake in any corner joseki.

Nope. I just opened one of my finished games, rolled back to the beginning and did those moves.

1 Like