Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Do you think it’s necessary to have a singular president? I wouldn’t mind making the office more of a figurehead if it resulted in more checks on government. Because when it comes down to it, I didn’t vote for Trump, I voted against Biden. If I had my choice for any political seat, it would be a libertarian of some flavor, but they won’t win any major office in the foreseeable future. So I vote for the guy who will probably raise taxes, but probably less than Biden; the guy who will probably continue inflating our fiat currency, but so would Biden; the guy who will expand the power of the office of president, but at least not as much as Biden; the guy who will undermine our freedoms, liberties, and God-given Natural Rights, but probably more slowly than Biden would. A powerless president is more preferable to me than either candidate winning.

The counterpoint, is that the Founding Fathers considered this. They had seen the inability of the Articles of Confederation to enforce any of their acts, or even to collect taxes for the raising of an army. So they created a federal government. They wanted the executive branch, as I understand it, to have a single figurehead so that there would be someone who could represent the government in international affairs, hence the president’s constitutional powers regarding the negotiation of treaties. Did they have a point here? Is having a single leader, whether a Prime Minister, a King, or a President, inevitable?

Or, to take a third option, is all of this immaterial to preventing government encroachment upon freedoms, liberties, and Natural Rights? After all, if everyone, tomorrow, decides to act like the rights to free speech, freedom of assembly, and freedom of religion supposedly protected by our 1st Amendment, don’t exist, they will not, for all intents and purposes, exist. “Rational Anarchism”, Heinlein calls it. Our rights are respected because a sufficient ratio of our society acts as though they exist. (This is not to say that our rights are human constructs, but rather that we as moral agents are not necessarily obliged to respect said rights. I could violate someone’s right to life. I could stab someone with a knife. Why don’t I do this (besides not wanting to)? Because I believe they have a right to life, and because others, who also believe they have a right to life, will arrest me if I do that. The right exists regardless of whether or not I or anyone else respects it, the situation of that right being respected, may not always exist.) So if we have arrived today, at a society in which the tax that the average American pays is far in excess of the taxes over which the 13 colonies declared independence from Great Britain, in a society run on fiat and backed by debt, in a society where censorship and cancel culture are real threats to freedom of speech, expression, and assembly, in a society where the right to keep and bear arms is infringed, have we arrived thereto for any reason other than apathy? have we arrived thereto by any decisions not in their insignificance, portents of same cowardice which saw Stalin take power? I have been thinking about the quote from Gulag Archipelago the past few days, and if we are not faithful in little, the censoring of journalists, the demonetization of Youtube videos, the slanted content suggestions of Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube, how then will we be faithful in much? would it not be pride as of Lucifer to think we would not *burn in the camps later?

“And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?.. The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin’s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If…if…We didn’t love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation… We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.”
― Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn , The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

This is not an endorsement of Trump, Biden, Obama, Bush, Clinton, or any other president after the first few. The chained lion created in 1787 began working the metal of its manacles from the first, but if this progression is inevitable, should we therefor resign ourselves to it as to a natural disaster: preparing to weather it—accepting it will come or go as of a volition its own? I do not doubt that Summer and Winter, Springtime and Harvest, will endure; I do not doubt that though I may, in the event of a societal collapse die being ill equipped for that environment, enough will not; but is there then anything to be gained in resisting the inexorable force which flattens Olympus Mons? I want there to so be, but perhaps there is not, and I would not be alone in so supposing.

I would be interested in @JethOrensin’s take on this even though we differ politically and religiously, because I think we also have some beliefs in common: we are both Christians and I have seen JethOrensin post some very well reasoned essays on these forums. Is there any choice beyond the slowest decent to either Anarchy or Tyranny? Should we be focusing only on bringing more people to Christ in the hopes that this may indirectly result in a better political system as an ancillary benefit?

(note: the following paragraph should be taken as my beliefs: I am not claiming (nor do I believe) that JethOrensin would agree with everything below, and I do not want to put words into his mouth)

I believe that humans have LFW. I believe that God is saddened when Men rebel in their hearts against Him—when they harm their fellow Man—when they profane His creation. I do not know whether God would be happy with either election result; perhaps it would be neither, perhaps either; but I do believe that He makes all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose: I believe that no matter the election result, God can and will use it to His glory, but what does this mean for our lives? Does it mean we abstain from political processes, or does it mean we do our best as sinful humans to put in office the men we in our limited understanding believe best suited to each office? Does the one bury the talent, or does the other struggle with God? I don’t know.

4 Likes

When you eat with only just a fork, which hand do you use?

• Right
  • Left
  • Switch based on convenience

0 voters

When you eat with both a fork and a knife, which hands do you use for each?

• Keep fork in right and knife in left
  • Keep knife in left and fork in right
  • Switch knife to right to cut, and fork to right to eat
  • Switch knife to left to cut, and fork to left to eat
  • Other (please clarify with comment)

0 voters

Sorry I messed up the second poll, use the fixed one below

4 Likes

I’m not sure if you intentionally put two equivalent options in there, but I keep my fork left, knife right when eating with both, unless I only use the knife sparingly, in which I put down my knife in between and switch my fork back to the right.

4 Likes

Whoops, I messed that up

When you eat with both a fork and a knife, which hands do you use for each?

• Keep fork in right and knife in left
  • Keep knife in right and fork in left
  • Switch knife to right to cut, and fork to right to eat
  • Switch knife to left to cut, and fork to left to eat
  • Other (please clarify with comment)

0 voters

2 Likes

Coming from another thread…

Can exes stay friends?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

I’d like a “I have no idea” option. :smiley: Strictly speaking, of course, “Yes”, but the natural reading of the question is what is most probable, and to that I do not know the answer.

1 Like

The important question is of course if they can stay exes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Hahaha, fair point.

Personally, I think exes can be friends, if both parties have reached a point where:

1. There are no lingering feelings (I don’t think we can “undo” a thing, it stays as a part of who we are, but the “feelings-feelings” are gone).
  2. They are mature enough to handle an evolving human relationship and the fact that people change. They need to feel comfortable in the past and at the same time not treat it like a continuation.

I think it’s not easy, most people who say “we remain friends” have it wrong and really aren’t, but it can be done and it can be a meaningful human relationship.

2 Likes

and if we are not faithful in little, […] how then will we be faithful in much?

Well, this is one school of thought and the other school is represented by the story of the boy that cried wolf. If we react to all the small things, then our vigilance is belittled and if/when a larger danger comes along everyone will be tired of dealing with those things or might not even consider them important anymore.

Case in point, notice how much weaker are protests regarded in places that they are held almost daily. It devolves in routine and eventually noone cares. It even becomes a chore that other people end up detesting.
But if suddenly in one place - over a serious issue - there is one massive protest, then everyone is forced to take notice. It is rare, ergo it is important. :slight_smile:

@Samraku

Interesting questions. If you do not mind, I will answer them separately.

Is there any choice beyond the slowest decent to either Anarchy or Tyranny?

Anarchy or tyranny are not inevitable in and of themselves, but decadence is. (1)
History has tought us that the world is filled with crumbled empires. All of them decayed in a different time-frame and speed and way, but almost all of them had a similar life-cycle and characteristics:
A) A leader or a small fortunate chain of good leaders raise one country/nation above its neighbours, which it conquers or subdues. Persia had Cyrus the Great. Athens had Solon and Pericles. Greece had Alexander the Great. Rome had a series of important generals and statesmen. The Huns had Attila. The Carthagenians had Hanibal. The Byzantines had Constantine. France had Napoleon and everyone can think more and more great leaders and countries … where are they now? Most of them do not even exist and it is important to ponder why.

Some where based on the charisma of a great leader (e.g. the Huns and Mongols)
Some where based on a complicated system of government that eventually got soft through the centuries. (e.g. the Romans - both their east and west empires.)
Some had too large an area and crumbled under their own weight (e.g. the British empire and Alexander’s successors)
Some where crushed by other, stronger empires (e.g. the Carthagenians and, towards the end, the Byzantines).

B) Not all of them ended in tyranny or anarchy, but excluding those that got destroyed before they reached that stage, all of them slowly rotted and imploded mainly through corruption and secondly through their inability to control vast areas and vast populations (the matter of hierarchy and distributing power is not trivial). Another very important point of decadence was the opulence of the ruling class and the usage of the Roman credo “panem et circenses” (which I think translates to “bread and entertainment”) in order to keep the masses occupied and pacified with less important things. ( fun, yet useless, fact of the day, the modern Greek word for entertainment is “διασκέδαση” which literally means “diverting your attention” :wink: ).

C) What was the other “tell” most of those empires had? Arrogance. The idea that they stand above the others not through the hard work of their ancestors, but through some divine or inexplicable order that will forever be maintained without effort. (for example this is the underlying danger of the phrase “God bless America” … it implies that fate and the divine will protect its place, so its inhabitants can stay complacent and not put in the effort :wink: )
The Roman “mare nostrum”, the British “empire where the sun never sets”, the opulence and riches of the Persians and so forth. We all know what happened to all that. History therefore provides lessons which we should do well to notice.

D) And last, but not the least? Weak leaders, by the end. The bickering leaders of the Greek states that actually invited the Romans, come to mind. The “revolving door” seat of the emperor at both east and west Roman empire are also a good example.

In this case, you are right to be worried about your country because there are a lot of these aforementioned characteristics in it.

• Arrogance? Check. (“we are the number 1 nation in the world” a lot of people and politicians boast, though that is not true, on almost every measurable category.)
  • Corruption? Check.
  • Disregard for the spirit of the law and a breakdown in the hierarchy? Check.
  • Weak leaders? Check. (both candidates were uninspiring)
  • An opulent ruling class? Check.
  • Citizens that are divided and constantly being kept in “check” via entertainment? Check.
  • An economy that consumes more than it produces? Check.

Do notice that I am purposefully avoiding any partizan mentions here. History teaches that resounding collapses are rarely the fault of one party or another, but it is a slower process that culminates into what seems like a grand collapse to the eyes of the unwary. For those that beware of the signs the phrase “a giants with clay legs” usually comes to mind for many past empires that are no longer with us.

So, to the question “Anarchy or Tyranny?” the answer is “it does not matter. The underlying decadence is the actual problem” and if we want to be frank here there are too many problems not in the list that I just mentioned, that make things worse (e.g. extreme partizanship, non-homogenous values between states, different laws between states, various systemic issues like the lack of universal healthcare and the mountain of debt that a lot of citizens have, the most incarcerated people per capita in the western world and we could go on and on and on). Those issues need to be adressed, but therein comes the problem created by arrogance. If you think you are “the best”, you are not likely to self-reflect at all.

Should we be focusing only on bringing more people to Christ in the hopes that this may indirectly result in a better political system as an ancillary benefit?

Historically, theocracies never amounted to anything. Especially ones based on Christianity, because Jesus, famously, was not interested in power. His message was quite radical, even for today apparently, and not really suitable for basing a government. Worth noting is that you might be thinking that “a pious believer is more likely to be ethical and moral” which is a logical assumption, but, practically proven wrong again and again, even in very recent history.

I really do not want to name specific people, but any one of us can really think of super pious christian groups/people in their countries that have voted and supported politicians with proven craven morals, just because that would promote their agenda.
Jesus would have wept. But those people still think they are doing “God’s work”.

So, no, there is no practical proof that “bringing more people to Christ” would make any improvements in the political scene specifically, because power corrupts. And the more you think that you are doing “holy work” the more it has been proven that people are willing to “sacrifice their own soul” for “the greater glory of God” (as they perceive it. Worth noting is that God never gave them any instructions or made them privy of “His desires”, but try to tell them that O_o )

I believe that God is saddened when Men rebel in their hearts against Him—when they harm their fellow Man—when they profane His creation.

Case in point. Notice how many extremely pious Christians have no problem with the destruction of nature. Isn’t the planet and nature itself God’s most important creation since everything else is based and depended upon it? But put some money/power in front of them and they forget all about conserving the environment, as long as they consider that their own “divine agenda” (again, as they perceive it) is served.

I believe that no matter the election result, God can and will use it to His glory, but what does this mean for our lives?

Well, not much, since we cannot define what the phrase “the glory of God” means. (I always found that phrase suspicious. God is supposed to be in everything. So, what kind of “glory” would God need? Seems like a case of applying human ambitions and needs to our diety to feel closer to God)
Despite our best efforts there is no evidence for the purpose of our lives individually and the purpose of our species as a whole. The Bible says that God created the world and everything in it, but the purpose - the plan, as some people like to call it - is absent.

So, individually, we just do our best to follow basic human decency and be useful and kind to others and hope that time, eventually, will provide the answer to our species. (incidentally that is why there are always churches that keep declaring that “the endtimes are near” … we long to find the meaning, we wish that the answer will be given before we die, but we all know historically how such predictions have fallen short again and again)

Does it mean we abstain from political processes, or does it mean we do our best as sinful humans to put in office the men we in our limited understanding believe best suited to each office?

Being a politician is a job. Like with every job it is our duty to try and give it to the best, most qualified, person that applies for it.

Does the one bury the talent, or does the other struggle with God?

Ah, one of my least favorite parables not only because it has some dubious misinterpretations (e.g. the prosperity gospel or the fascination of some important christian denominations with the actual acquisition of money - that is what happens when you take an obvious allegory as literal fact, but that is another can of worms :stuck_out_tongue: ), but it also seems to punish inaction with the same severity as sin (stealing).

Anyway, I think the answer, again, is not so much about God, but about providing a meaning to our existence. Sure, there are days that we want to just lie around and do nothing and care for nothing, but in our lives as a whole, we have to care about what happens around us and take part in the society and provide to others whatever help/worth we can (another fun fact, the english word idiot derives from the ancient Greek “ιδιώτης” which also had a very negative meaning, even though it literally meant someone that cares only for their own self - a person not taking part in the common problems).

This is most probably what Jesus wanted to say with his parable, that in the end we should be able to look back and have a positive balance in our lives, not with money, but in general. So, again, I do not really see why politics should be excluded from that process. It is just another part of our lives that we shouldn’t ignore.

Since this is the topic about questions that do not deserve their own topic, I have a question as well:

Or, to take a third option, is all of this immaterial to preventing government encroachment upon freedoms, liberties, and Natural Rights?

What are Natural Rights (with capital starting letters) which you mentioned? I do not mean to argue, I am just curious about a list of what those are. :slight_smile:

P.S.
(1) You might find of interest Asimov’s book “Foundation”. Trantor is an allegory for almost every bloated empire that reached too far and eventually imploded, even though it seemed stable and “all-powerful” from the outside.

@Gia

Those are quite important caveats though. Considering how rare it is to find two people that can fulfil them one should wonder if that means that the most common answer would be “no, it usually cannot be done” :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes
How do you eat Spaghetti?
  • Spoon in left hand, fork in right hand; winding up the spaghetti inside the spoon
  • Spoon in right hand, fork in left hand; rolling up the spaghetti inside the spoon
  • Only fork, winding up the spaghetti on the plate
  • Using a fork, without winding up
  • Using fork and spoon without winding up
  • I am a barbarian and use a knife to cut them up and eat the spaghetti bits with a spoon.

0 voters

I really like the idea that some of your Ancients had: If the definition of a God is that it has to be 1) eternal and 2) perfect, it needs to be in a state of perpetuate, undisturbed happiness, always enjoying its own company, never in any state of passion, never wanting or lacking or needing or desiring anything, detached from everything that is mortal, and – because it is present in every part of the universe, and the universe is, of course, spherical – of a perfectly spherical shape without external features.

1 Like

I am a barbarian and I am proud of it!
BTW: years ago I ate spaghetti (too much carbs).

5 Likes
1 Like

Usually I roll my spaghetti (with a spoon), but if I’m really hungry I sometimes use chopsticks or cut it in pieces, as that’s faster to fill my stomach :stuck_out_tongue:

I always heard that using a spoon or not using a spoon is the difference between North and South Italy, is that true?

3 Likes

Honestly, I don’t know! At least not from my own observation. But my mother, whose mother was born to Swiss expats in Naples, tells the same thing, so maybe it’s true. And it’s cool that you have heard that too.

And my mother always uses fork+spoon, but I mostly use just a fork, and only sometimes a spoon, depending on how much sauce there is.

3 Likes

Sauce… and cheese! Miam

1 Like

For the silverware, I kinda just do what is easiest for me. For the spaghetti, I will only use a fork but sometimes eat in a bowl or lift up the fork.

3 Likes

Also this is kinda a random question but why is the letter “Z” pronounced differently depending on where one is and why do some places say “maths” while others say “math” when they mean the same thing?

3 Likes

Depends if you consider math as a whole (like a science for ex) or made of different fields

I don’t think the “math” vs “maths” is a difference of context, but rather a cultural difference in usage, like “color” vs “colour”.

The longer word “mathematics” is universally used to refer to the field, I think. However, it is typically shortened to just “math” in the USA, but to “maths” in the UK. I think a lot of other Commonwealth nations follow the British usage.

7 Likes