Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Was the system’s profile picture always like this?

5 Likes

I knew something was jarring me about that!

Wasn’t it originally just the logo? I think it was better that way…

Tolkien’s are traditional, but I’ve found myself most drawn to Valyrian, the “Latin” of Game of Thrones.

Also, you’d quit Go for $1000? A bit cheap, no?

3 Likes

Originally it was grey gear. Don’t know why it changed.

1 Like

I used to do a little Lisp programming, so naturally Emacs for me.

Never heard of Toaq before. It’s a “tonal logical language”. http://toaq.org/

(… Does it say something about me that I apparently only want to answer Samraku’s questions?)

1 Like

There’s a famous case on the subject in which World Chess Events LTD sued Chessgames Services LLC for infringing its copyright in the world championship chess moves by relaying the moves. There, the court dismissed the complaint without a hearing.

Better known by its informal title Agon vs Chess24, 2016.

It looks kinda squished like this.

1 Like

I love it when shows take the time to have actual languages in them instead of gibberish. Game of Thrones, Moana, James Cameron’s Avatar, &c..

$1000 is a lot of money, and I would still have Arimaa. That said, I would now put it at $2000.

1 Like

Toaq is quite cool; it was created by solpahi (Lojban name) after his proposals to objectively improve Lojban were meet with resistance. Toaq is now far more active than Lojban, so it seems he was far from the only one who thought Lojban had deep-rooted issues which Toaq solves.

2 Likes

In tsumego convention, who are ladders assumed to be good for?

The attacker?
The defender?
Or for or against the solver regardless of whether they’re attacking or defending?

Also, does being chased on the first line count as a valid escape from the play area, and thus equivalent to local life?

I would say that when we say the ladder is working, it means the stones caught in the ladder will be captured.

Escaping is usually a failure to solve the problem, being on first line or not. A well done problem add stones sometimes to avoid it so it could be a failure in hastly made problem. But that’s very rare.

That wasn’t what I meant.

who are ladders assumed to be good for?

ie. who are the ladders assumed to work for?

As an example, suppose this joseki was a tsumego and I was considering A as White.

Should I assume that this ladder is valid for me or for Black? And is that because I’m the defender or because I’m the solver?

Also, that’s interesting since the view of Sensei’s Library seemed to be that escape from the play area was considered of the same value as local life.

in a go problem you assume there are no other stones, like a full board reduced to this corner. (Unless specified)
So yes here the ladder is good for black.

Now if it’s a discussion about a joseki, not a problem, the solution may add a comment like black takes the stone in a ladder which will imply the possibility of a ladder breaker etc…

2 Likes

Hey folks, is there a stone placement sound in review mode if you use the autoplay-button to let OGS replay the game? I don’t hear any, but I’m on phone so it might be me.

(Inb4 I open a new “Feature Suggestion” thread)

1 Like

what rank area do people get stuck at even with training , studying practice everyday for a few hours.

I am 7-8kyu 9x9 and 10-11kyu at 19x19 and I have not had this happen yet , i did get stuck at 9-10kyu at 9x9 for 4 months practicing everyday for a few hours but i recently shot up to 6-8kyu.

Im just wondering if theres a rank its normal to get stuck(permanantly) at even with never giving up

IRL, EGF ranking: 10k 6k 3k 1k 3d 4d 5d…
1k to 1d need like same effort as 30k-1k

Besides anyone can get stuck wherever, just a personal matter.

plotted for OGS accounts with at least 2000 games:

If you didn’t play even 1000 games yet, don’t consider yourself stuck, there is good chance you will improve

2 Likes

sounds like there isnt such a thing then? It would be cool if 1D is achievable even for people who arent naturally gifted at this.

It really drove me crazy being stuck at 9kyu at 9x9 for like 3-4 months… I was trying so hard everyday and i just couldnt break past it… Very happy to finally advance further

Getting stuck is a reality for many players.
It comes not just from your abilities but from bad learning mostly: bad habits (already at 10k with players educated by old gen bots for ex.) or misunderstanding on basic concepts, lack of reading…
It’s not always easy to pass a step but external advices from books or stronger players help.
For my own progress, “lessons in the fundamentals” helped me at 9k and “Tesuji” at 6k.

2 Likes

I found rather inspirational seeing some commented AGA games with Andrew Jackson and a female pro who kept telling him: “Don’t be lazy!” in a super wholesome and helpful way, and it kinda stuck :slight_smile:

4 Likes