Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

This is a question that deserves its own thread! :smile:

3 Likes

In brief, because it is calculated from a different pool of games.

3 Likes

1 victory in 9x9 blitz, 1 victory in 13x13 blitz, 1 victory in …
total 9 victories in overall

Is there a place where you can view all announcements that were shown on the site (ones like people streaming and stuff)? Or are they gone forever after you close the popups? Would be a nice way to stay up to date with events and find a list of streamers even when they aren’t live at the moment.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s in Settings > Announcements

1 Like

Does it count as cheating if in pair go you don’t pair up with your spouse but with someone else?

6 Likes

It’s not cheating if the relationship-partner is okay with it.

4 Likes

Exactly. It’s called “polyludory”. :wink:

P.S.: As I heard, it’s actually better for your relationship if you play Pair Go with someone else.

8 Likes

How not romantic!

Google doesn’t link to anything.

Polyamory but with games (ludo) instead of amour!

1 Like

Only if you do not make any attachments during the game :wink:

3 Likes

Hey thanks, thing is i was happy to escape from those AI, chatbots and such :wink:

1 Like

I can believe it. When I played bridge tournaments, back in the day, I often saw bitter bickering between married teammates.

3 Likes

Oh yes, I once even witnessed one partner being annoyed because the other didn’t play along with their cheating attempt. Unconcious cheating of course, because the rule of only being allowed to communicate with your partner through card play or bidding was pretty alien on that level. :smiley:

1 Like

I actually found out that in Japanese pro pair go championship pars are decided by lottery.

前期優勝ペアはシードされ、タイトル権者・ランキングから棋士は選出され、ペアはくじで決定される。

The winning pair from the previous year will be seeded, the professionals will be selected from the titleholders and rankings, and the pairs will be decided by lot.

2 Likes

When joseki go experimental.

I guess my question is why? Why can’t we just try and eat that stone?

4 Likes

What a cool move, will definitely be trying this in my own games :smiley:

If black tries this kosumi (or similarly keima to C13), white can attach:

The idea is that if black plays hane white can cut and C17 can’t be captured:

We would end up here, with an annoying peep left in black’s shape - black could play E16 immediately but it’s a little bit slow.

If black goes straight down instead of hane white is also happy:

KataGo says black should press first instead of directly going after B15. White still gets the chance to attach in the corner:

This result is acceptable for both. White lost less than 0.5 points with the weird B15 move.

Alternatively, black could passively respond with B16. Then white comes back to the usual 2-space extension, and it’s unclear who benefitted from the A-B exchange. It doesn’t really affect the score/winrate in this board position, but probably the left side will now play out differently than it would have without that exchange.

12 Likes

Are deleted players automatically disqualified from tournaments?

1 Like

Does anyone know catenaccio joseki? As in know by yourself, without looking it up. Funny name that. Do you know any other funny names for joseki?

I use it in general, I didn’t know it’s a joseki. Different than a timesuji?

1 Like