Random Gaps + Pie Rule

So adding two components to a graph that are homomorphic to each other (i.e. two identical “islands”) doesn’t change the value of fair komi. So when playing on three 9x9 boards, you should have the same komi as when playing on one 9x9 board.

However personal preference also plays a role. In the “komi needs correction on 9x9”-thread, the point was made that some value may be “fair” in a theoretical sense (that is when assuming optimal play), but maybe in some strength ranges, players don’t know how to utilise playing first and countering komi. No problem with the pie rule! Just adjust komi according to your personal preference. If you enjoy playing first and feel confident giving white 10 points komi, you can go for it.

//Edit: The downside is, it introduces another hurdle for beginners. You have to make a couple of decisions before you can begin playing, and the rules have no intrinsic feature telling you what is a good choice.

2 Likes

This might not always be true if we take ko into account! Even if one player is always mirroring the two identical islands, the other player can use such exchanges as free ko threats.

3 Likes

Oh yea, a7 is an eye for white. Totally missed

2 Likes

Assuming superko, it is actually possible to break mirror go without using the middle of the board! It’s hard for me to visualize. So here, I made a demo: Mirror break

And in the process I discovered that of course it’s already on Sensei’s: Countering mirror go at Sensei's Library

So I think your double-island games might still be playable.

3 Likes

C7:

– Since you’re a bit stronger than me I was curious if/how you would invade, and I thought it would be harder for me to do the same if I picked white :stuck_out_tongue:

I think I had to try some sort of invasion, but it looks quite difficult to live here!

I play B9.

Sorry I’ve been a bit busy/tired.

A8 otherwise I think it just lives with A8.

I dunno I imagine you’ll live easy enough.

1 Like

Still looking bleak, but let’s try F8!

1 Like

G8: We’ll see, these holes make things very messy.

1 Like

D7:

2 Likes

Tis an interesting atari.

C6:

2 Likes

E7.

The situation has improved from “I’m pretty sure I’m just dead” to “I’m probably dead, but I have no idea what’s going on” :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

G4:

I’m looking forward to discussing this afterward. Was thinking of making the game into a gif too, for fun :slight_smile:

~Gif

Something like

4 Likes

H4.

(yes Discourse, I’m aware that “H4” is not a complete sentence)

2 Likes

I guess H5:

I’ll play H6.

Conditional move

If H3, J5.

H3, J5, H2:

F1.

I think this might be heading towards a big ko.

1 Like

You’re reading is a lot better than mine anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

G1:

1 Like

F2 :slight_smile:

1 Like