Rank change after win/loss on different board sizes

Hi!

First of all, this is not a topic about difference between main and speed/live/correspondance ranks!

I’d like to know if there is a way to calculate rank difference after winning with an opponent X stones higher/lower in rank? Is there an formula somewhere?

The other quesion is: do I gain less when winning with someone on 9x9 then on 19x19 if the rank difference is the same? I’ve lost a 9x9 game recently with a considerably weaker player (i think it was 7k diff) but my rank didn’t hurt so much as I’ve anticipated.

Hello, as far as I know the stone difference/resignation does not matter. All that matters is win/lose. It is a good thing as well I think, because consistent victories with a small margin usually suggest a stronger player rather than random victories with 50 points difference.

I think board size does not matter either.

But the rank differnce is what I would like to know as well. My main question would be wheter losing against a much stronger opponent is as detrimental to my rank as losing against the same strength. If that’s the case I would think it is kind of unfortunate, because it could discourage beginners from playing stronger players which I think is rather a good way to learn…

What I meant by stone difference was difference in rank not points (should have state it better perhaps). I know for sure that point difference/resignation does not matter, only win/loss as you say.

I’m also pretty sure that losing against a much stronger opponent does not affect your ranking very much. I’d just like to see how this “not much” is actually calculated here :slight_smile:

1 Like

According to this, OGS uses standard ELO, with the smaller boards weighted less. That means losing against a much stronger person’t won’t hurt your ranking, but if you won, you’d gain lots. No idea what the details are though.

1 Like

yes. 9x9 games affect your rank less than 19x19 do, what the margin is exactly i dont know unfortunately.

And yes. a victory against a weaker player will have a small effect on your rank. i recently played a game against a player 8 stones weaker than me and my rank changed by 3 points only. I dont know what a loss would have done :). OGS uses an ELO sytem, which means that the amount of rank points you get awarded are related to the probability of your victory.

EDIT: 9x9 is calculated with a factor of 0.25

3 Likes

Nope, you stated it quite clearly, it is me who should learn to read :smiley:

@kickaha great intel, thank you.

It would be awesome if your rank could even go higher when you keep up with much stronger opponent (even thou you lose in the end) :smiley: That would be so motivating :smiley: Shame that it’s probably not really possible to implement :frowning:

There was a post a while ago explaining that OGS actually uses a modified ELO that injects additional rating points on a decreasing scale as rank increases. This is to combat the fact that ELO is designed to be zero-sum, and thus new users results in rating depression.

1 Like

This thread is outdated since Jul 2017. At this point the OGS rating system changed to glicko2. The rating system changed in many aspects. All info in this thread about Elo on OGS is obsolete.