Rank Deflation

I quickly checked some of the games in your game history. I’ll estimate your level in real life club ranks as I am familiar with in the Netherlands. These may be a bit softer than current EGF ranks and a bit tougher than AGA ranks.

From your very first games here, I would say you were not a complete novice when you started on OGS. Did you not have any practice or tuition before you started on OGS?

Around april 2017, I would estimate that your level was about 15k. Your (updated) OGS rating shows 9k at that time. Indeed that feels a bit too optimistic to me. But your winrate was quite high throughout 2017 (about 75%), so that might explain why the OGS rating system gave you an inflated rating.

By april 2019, I think you were about 10k. Your (updated) OGS rating shows 7k at that time. So perhaps still a bit optimistic, but AGA 7k may be quite a good estimate.

By late 2019, I think you were about 6-5k. Your updated OGS rating shows 4k at the time. Still slightly optimistic perhaps, but 4k AGA may be quite a good estimate.

I also notice that you win about 10% of your ranked games by your opponent timing out, while you seem to timeout much less. It makes me wonder how much OGS ratings are affected by time outs. Timing out is quite rare in real life tournaments, so it’s not much of an issue there.

3 Likes