Rated Puzzles

I think people had tried making go puzzles from games with bots like Katago.

This website doesn’t seem to be working, but also AISensei also had the option to make puzzles from games.

The main problems I would say with those attempts are (a) the solutions are either like 1 move long, so basically guess the AI move which a lot of the time aren’t that helpful or (b) the sequence the AI might play out isn’t even local most of the time, it’s like play this move then play this weird exchange on the other side of the board then do something else.

So one would have to be really picky and probably clever in how one finds such games to make puzzles automatically say with the help from an AI.

This is probably one way, but a tonne of the puzzles will end up being joseki problems I would say, since a lot of them might have a single response or single sequence. Even if the first move is unique, the next few might not or might just be to play away for example.

Maybe you could play “Guess the human players responses” but that’s not guaranteed to be good at all given the board position.

I think there’s just some differences that need to be overcome between chess and Go. There are positions in both with a kind of “only move” scenario, but there’s no real equivalent of checkmate. There might be effective “mates” in the sense of killing a large enough group at the right point of the game etc.

It has been asked for before and it does sound good. And if anyone wants to give it a try, it’s probably a better time to try now than before because there’s a huge database of OGS games available for example