Rating system issues

Maybe this is the “Corrate Incident” (Corona-Ratings)?

5 Likes

Meltin’ Ratings sounds like the perfect summer bop, but we can always poll it. :stuck_out_tongue::wink:

There is also a story-within-a-story, called “Dans in Disarray”, cinéphiles are very invested in this subplot.

11 Likes

How do you work in it’s interaction with the “Through the Years” Tournament groupings?

5 Likes

I think it was a spin-off series that really didn’t take off. A pilot was filmed, “Forever Mismatched”, but the audience didn’t find it compelling enough to greenlight a whole season.

7 Likes

Sounds like some network forgot to poll 2,000 odd users.
( "_゛)?

(sorry for the weird kaomoji, I’m a 40k at kaomoji, but too stubborn to just copy/paste them)

6 Likes

Are there plans to apply the handicap fix retroactively at some point? Or has that already been done?

6 Likes

We’re going to apply it retroactively with the next rating update, which should be in the next few weeks

10 Likes

Soon™

10 Likes

What has my waist to hip ratio got to do with this you insensitive clod!

6 Likes

minor question: is there a way that we can get volatilities without having to access the API?
I’m a bit technologically illiterate when it comes to anything that can actually do anything, but don’t want to bother people about finding my API profile all the time.

If it helps to be understandable, volatility is convertable into ELO scale (just scale it by 173.7178 like anything else, glickman just doesn’t do it because it doesn’t have to make sense), since after all it is how much your “true rating” is expected to change between ratings periods

2 Likes

I think you’re thinking of Rating Deviation, which is available, that’s the number after +-

The volatility parameter hovers around 0.06 for almost everyone, scaled it’s about 10 +- 0.5 almost across the board, with a few exceptions.

5 Likes

not exactly, the ratings deviation is the confidence interval of your rating, the volatility is how much that increases, because your “true rating” (the thing your rating is trying to find) is expected to move in a manner that is usually modeled by brownian motion. The rate at which it does this is the Volatility.

What this ends up meaning, is that the Rating ± the ratings deviation is the distribution of where we think your rating is now, and then on top of that, for each point where your rating might be, it moves up or down in a manner also distributed by a normal distribution. The effect is that it adds together two normal distributions, which has a variance that is the sum of the two starting normal distributions as they are independently distributed. this is why the ratings deviation update (before v gets involved) is sqrt(phi^2+volatility^2), because phi^2 is the variance of the normal distribution of rating last period, and volatility^2 is the variance of the distribution of how it moves, which is then square rooted back into a standard deviation.

I summed all this up as how much your “true rating” is expected to change per time period, because it scales by time, and you really shouldn’t confuse the rating assigned by the system, which is more accurately the mean of the distribution of where we guess your “true rating”, and the “true rating”, the theoretical number that sums up the average skill of play you actually play with

5 Likes

:+1:

As we’re going through the next ratings iteration I’ll spot check the volatility. If it gets interesting (ie, not always 0.06 ± 0.005), we can figure out how (where) to put that on the interface. Not sure we want to clutter it though if it’s always pretty consistent. I think that will depend on how we end up dealing with the interval.

7 Likes

Could we just have an “expanded” view of our data on our profile that you have to access by clicking on something?

5 Likes

Quite possibly, I’d merge it if it fit in nicely

5 Likes

As some have seen there’s this: EGF Rating System Commission Report 2020 (lifein19x19)

More direct link: https://www.eurogofed.org/egf/rating_system_commission.html

4 Likes

Yeah - I know that anoek and gennan are in discussion about it and how it might influence what is done at OGS.

4 Likes

Sounds like a good idea. I won a game yesterday, and my rank dropped by 1.5, really weird.

2 Likes

On the other hand I just resigned a game and went up from 2.0k to 1.9k >_>

4 Likes

Resigning is the new meta for ranking up :thinking:

6 Likes