Reading Improvement

Let’s compare two players who score equally on the ‘conditional move’ ability of reading (so both of them can guess their opponents next stones equally accurate.

The first player only reads 5 moves ahead and can read any situation more or less perfectly. The only time he would get into a disadvantageous position is if his opponent has read more than 5 moves ahead.

The second player reads deeper, but a lot less accurate and hence once in a while has a great performance where he would read 12 moves in a row correctly, but in another moment misses a ladder variation that would have been obvious if he had just read 4 moves deep.

Which of these players is more skilled at reading? In my opinion it is the first player.

I think judging reading skill is quite difficult, since a good reader is usually not recognisable by the moves he makes, but by the mistakes he didn’t make.

1 Like

Sure, I try playing people my own strength (which, by the way, is more or less 20k, I think) but since I only play fast games, which are not very popular, I pretty much play against whoever wants to play against me.

I think the terms Distance and Quality are elegant. I like this :smiley:.

How do you know this :astonished:? I had never considered this before :thinking:. Just by committing other peoples games — stone for stone, move for move — to memory, my own Distance and Quality skills will improve? How can this improve my own reading capability? I’m very curious :innocent:.

1. What are ‘practice effects’?
  2. Do you know where I might be able to research the subject of measuring reading skill? I find the topic very interesting and have read in many places it the second most important Go skill, second only to Intuition.
  3. I understand the words you are saying but I do not understand what you mean when you said: “lay out problems whose solutions are trivial shapewise and entirely forced.

Questions 1 through 3 in the above quote may not even be worth answering. It seems you have summed up your feelings on the subject with this statement. Which I can understand with ease.

I sincerely appreciate that you took the time to write this out for me. I am very interested in the topic of how one progresses in Go and reading is an area I want very much to understand better and to developer further. Your time is very much appreciated. Thank you :hugs:.

I agree, it is definitely the first player.

Very well said and a great point!